Can't figure out VLANs on Netgear R6400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:05    Post subject: Can't figure out VLANs on Netgear R6400 Reply with quote
• DD-WRT build -- r55363
• Hardware -- Netgear R6400 v1
• Operating Mode -- Router, WAP implementation
• Network Architecture -- Netgear (DD-WRT) (via Port 1) -> Managed Switch -> Firewall-Router -> Modem -> Internet
Note: Firewall-Router is handling DHCP for the whole network
• Goal: DD-WRT access point with 2.4/5 GHz regular LAN, plus VAPs bridged to VLANs (e.g. VLAN10 = IoT, VLAN20 = Guests) all via physical Port 1

Note: Port 3 is just my PC plugged in for troubleshooting
• Current Issue: Simply assigning VLANs 10 and 20 on Port 1 causes access to Internet on all ports to be cut off, regardless of whether or not I mark VLANS 10 and 20 as tagged.

Methods attempted:
Superuser question -- This got me the closest: I was able to connect to the internet on VLANs 10 and 20. However, it didn't solve the problem of VLAN1 traffic being cut off.
Switched Ports (nvram method) -- this shuts down my wireless interfaces and makes the router completely unreachable on all ports. Had to reset firmware a few times.
• swconfig -- similar results to first method (if I also supplement VAP bridging)

Main question: what are the most up-to-date guides that would help me accomplish my goal? Or perhaps I am overlooking something?
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
See this link to configure your VLANs on a single port CPU, which is what you have:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=335568

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
See this link to configure your VLANs on a single port CPU, which is what you have:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=335568

I'm following instructions under "Trunk-Port Link between Main-Router and Wireless-Access-Point (WAP)." -- my access points for VLANs 10 and 20 are working and can connect to the Internet. Furthermore I have Internet access on Port 3 (untagged VLAN1). However, my regular 2.4/5 GHz access points still can't get Internet (but, they are at least being broadcasted).

I don't understand, eth1 and eth2 are bridged to vlan1 in the default bridge. They should be working. DD-WRT is also unreachable from the LAN.

Edit/Temporary Solution: I bridged eth1 and eth2 into the new VLAN 5 and now all the access points can connect to the Internet.

The remaining issue is that the DD-WRT router is not reachable by the regular LAN over the Port 1 link when it's configured to carry tagged VLANs. If anyone knows a solution, please let me know.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
It works exactly as shown, if it does not work you have configured it incorrectly.

I would guess that your VLAN1 is not tagged.
But since you don't provide any information - your problem we don't have a crystal ball

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
It works exactly as shown, if it does not work you have configured it incorrectly.

I would guess that your VLAN1 is not tagged.
But since you don't provide any information - your problem we don't have a crystal ball

Hello, thank you for your work with the guide.

Output of swconfig show

VLAN config table

Bridging table

I am brand new to DD-WRT and this level of networking, so please let me know which information would be helpful to provide.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
A trunk configuration is not a one-sided configuration but must be configured correctly on both sides.

Your firewall router must tag VLAN1+VLAN10+VLAN20 on the trunk port and the managed switch must pass it on in the same way.

Since a switch is connected in between, other configurations are also possible

Firewall: VLAN1=untagged VLAN10=tagged VLAN20=tagged

Switch INPUT: VLAN1=untagged VLAN10=tagged VLAN20=tagged
Switch OUTPUT: VLAN1=tagged VLAN10=tagged VLAN20=tagged

As I said, I have no idea how your other devices are configured.
If VLAN1 does not work and you have no access to the IP address of the router, it is usually because no tagged VLAN1 arrives

Routers
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies. I think you may have cleared up a major misunderstanding I had.

Here is my switch:

Here is an example of how I configure VLANs on my firewall:

If I understood correctly, what I need to do now is set VLAN 1 to tagged on the switch, and also create a VLAN interface for VLAN 1 on the firewall.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is sufficient to tag VLAN1 on the switch output as described.

(but there are apparently switches that cannot tag VLAN1 - lexridge has one)

Routers
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
By switch input and output, are you referring to the Ports that connect the DD-WRT router (Port 2) and the firewall router (Port 1) respectively? I have other devices connected to the switch that get disrupted if I only tag VLAN 1 for Port 1.

EDIT: I'd done the exact opposite of what you meant, likely. Tagging VLAN 1 on Port 2 did the trick! Thank you so much I've finally resolved it Very Happy

EDIT2: I just tried unbridging eth1/eth2 from vlan5 and it broke vlan1. I re-bridged and everything works again. I seriously don't know what's happening anymore. But, it seems like that traffic has to stay tagged on its own VLAN. Not a big deal, but definitely strange.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
EDIT: I'd done the exact opposite of what you meant, likely. Tagging VLAN 1 on Port 2 did the trick! Thank you so much I've finally resolved it Very Happy

Rolling Eyes

firewall ---> switch input --> switch output --> WAP (a WAP is only an extension of the main router and not the other way round)

If the dd-wrt router is connected to port 2, then port 2 is the switch output! and VLAN1 must be tagged on this port.
but you can also try to misunderstand me on purpose

Quote:
EDIT2: I just tried unbridging eth1/eth2 from vlan5 and it broke vlan1. I re-bridged and everything works again. I seriously don't know what's happening anymore. But, it seems like that traffic has to stay tagged on its own VLAN. Not a big deal, but definitely strange.

bullshit Rolling Eyes

I repeat it again, it works exactly as I have shown it, all the necessary settings are shown

I myself use a trunk for my WAPs with VLAN1, many others use exactly the same configuration without any problems.
and that any WLAN interfaces should break VLAN interfaces is outrageous nonsense

delete the complete VLAN5 configuration
delete br3
delete the br3 assignments

you need some patience, it takes a while after each step until the router has adopted the settings.
You have connected a PC to port3, assign the PC a static IP address in the VLAN1 range and you can access the router at any time - even if DHCP is not working.

Routers
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
firewall ---> switch input --> switch output --> WAP (a WAP is only an extension of the main router and not the other way round)

If the dd-wrt router is connected to port 2, then port 2 is the switch output! and VLAN1 must be tagged on this port.
but you can also try to misunderstand me on purpose

Sorry about my reading comprehension, that bit works just as you described.

Quote:
and that any WLAN interfaces should break VLAN interfaces is outrageous nonsense

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Quote:
delete the complete VLAN5 configuration
delete br3
delete the br3 assignments

you need some patience, it takes a while after each step until the router has adopted the settings.

I will try again.
iambryan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got it working. Thank you again, everything is solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: