Forgot router access password

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
radu_poe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Forgot router access password Reply with quote
Hi, I have a dumb question : is there a way to recover my password from a nvram.bin file?

I did a backup long time ago and unfortunately I forgot the password that I set for accessing the router.

Thank you.
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
only way I know of to fix it, is a hard reset 30/30/30.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I do what you suggest, I will have to do all the settings again and I really don't know how to do them. That's why I did a backup in the first place.

Other suggestions?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The password in the nvram backup is encrypted. I don't know the algorithm used to convert the ascii password to hex or binary.

If you reset the router, you will have to enter the settings again but it will solve your password issue.

you can "change" or define the password in telnet but you first need the password to access the router via telnet.

So in summary... You either need to remember the password, or reset the router.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
radu_poe wrote:
If I do what you suggest, I will have to do all the settings again and I really don't know how to do them. That's why I did a backup in the first place.

Other suggestions?

I don't see any other choice, sorry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you.

So its either reinstall or reinstall :)

I am a real newbie to this.Can you give me a hint where to start reading in order to do my settings?

I want the router to act like this:
- take whatever comes on WAN port
- distribute it on WiFi

This implies also that DNS and other services to be carried on this connection: WAN to Wifi and back.

Thank you a lot!
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup lemme find the link

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44324

I use this method, it's great even between FW updates. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You tech guys have always the supposition that everybody understands this language Laughing .

I am a real newbie, I plug in the router in the internet and into power plug and it works! Cool

Please help me and direct me to a simple tutorial that simply takes the income connection and supplies it to the wifi connected devices.

Thank you.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
radu_poe wrote:
You tech guys have always the supposition that everybody understands this language Laughing .

I am a real newbie, I plug in the router in the internet and into power plug and it works! Cool

Please help me and direct me to a simple tutorial that simply takes the income connection and supplies it to the wifi connected devices.

Thank you.

What?

I'm not sure I can understand that level of...unsophistication. Pardon me, I must remove my monocle and stow away my caviar, oh butler, would you be so kind as to take my top hat.

Anyway. If you want Internet access for your wireless devices, you don't need a tutorial. Just connect your router to your cable (or whatever) modem using the Internet port, then if you haven't changed anything on the router (assuming you've flashed DD-WRT) connect your wireless clients to....you guessed it, dd-wrt. That's bare minimum, no security, no nothing. First thing I would do would be to assign an administrator username and password to keep others from misconfiguring your router. Then I would change the wireless SSID, doesn't have to be anything special, but something you know. Enable wireless encryption, WPA is the easiest since you don't have to deal with a string of numbers or anything. I personally use WPA2 Mixed since it's the most secure for devices that can use WPA2, but provides a fallback for those that can only handle WPA. Your shared key is basically a password that allows access to the wireless network. So, in a nutshell:

1. Physically configure router (connect to cable modem)
2. Assign administrator username/password
3. Change wireless SSID and enable security

And that's it. Nothing to it.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

radu_poe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you.

I didn't want to be disrespectful to you guys, but for me seems very complicated - too many options.

I'll try to do the settings and get back.
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 19:50    Post subject: Lots of settings, but.... Reply with quote
Hey Radu,

lots of settings, but more the vast majority, the default setting works fine.

If you are using DD-WRT, an open source firmware, then it is incumbent on you to learn the how/why/where/when and ins and outs--or, you can use stock firmware, and a "wizard" to set up your router.

Making a hard copy/print out of your settings might help--as has been mentioned here, a back up file is not necessarily going to help, since DD-WRT is pretty picky about that, especially when updating or upgrading versions.

Good luck,

NX

ps: socal87, used to live on Camp Pendleton...miss it.

SP1: it's a problem.
radu_poe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried what you suggested socal87, but unfortunately seems that not even the ping doesn't work from a machine connected to wifi through router to internet.
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is going to be a long thread.

1st.. start with a wired client.. Make sure you can access the net. Once that is done, then we (you) know you isp connection is good to go.

Wireless... dd-wrt defaults to no encryption, channel 6, ssid of "dd-wrt".

once you are conected wirelessly (after wired), then you can start setting up wireless security.

when you post back, explain you isp setup (dsl, cable, etc..)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
radu_poe wrote:

Thank you.

Well nothing, really about dd-wrt is that simple, maybe it's just not for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Need for DD-WRT? Reply with quote
Hey Radu,

good point above--DD-WRT is not designed to be "simple", it's designed to be robust, configurable, customizable--which means complexity of a type.

Is there something you need from DD-WRT that your router's stock firmware doesn't have?

Come to think of it: what kind of router?

...OK, looks like Asus w500wl....

Which firmware are you using, i.e. which version/date?

NX

SP1: it's a problem.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: