DD-WRT as DHCP server on home network

Goto page 1, 2  Next
wiredcharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:12    Post subject: DD-WRT as DHCP server on home network Reply with quote
I'm trying to use DD-WRT as the DHCP server on my home network - see diagram:

Internet and local network are OK on DD-WRT and the middle router.
Local network works OK from the Broadband router, but internet doesn't work when connected to it's LAN and WiFi.

Obviously if I turn on DHCP on the Broadband Router and off on DD-WRT it's all good, but then I would have to configure all my static IPs on the Broadband router.

Does anyone know what to set on the Broadband router so that its own LAN ports can see the internet properly with its DHCP is off?

Thanks
Tony

routers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.82 KB
 Viewed:  4548 Time(s)

routers.jpg

Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the DHCP Server hand out the Broadband router as Gateway?
What about DNS?
wiredcharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadband router 192.168.1.254
Middle router 192.168.1.2
DD-WRT 192.168.1.1

DD-WRT Network Setup
Router IP 192.168.1.1/24
Gateway 192.168.1.254
Local DNS 192.168.1.1
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
"local DNS" is wrong, the dd-wrt router can't be its own DNS server....

we are also missing details how the DNS server is configured.

Suggestion, leave the field "local DNS" empty and set as "static DNS1" 8.8.8.8

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
wiredcharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
"local DNS" is wrong, the dd-wrt router can't be its own DNS server....

we are also missing details how the DNS server is configured.

Suggestion, leave the field "local DNS" empty and set as "static DNS1" 8.8.8.8

Tried Local DNS as 0.0.0.0 but that broke internet everywhere - couldn't leave empty.

My hunch is that the issue is with the Broadband Router, but I don't know enough to figure it out.

The strange thing is that there isn't absolutely no internet connection when plugging directly into the broadband router, it's just very, very slow.

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 21.08.55.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.87 KB
 Viewed:  4459 Time(s)

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 21.08.55.png

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it just me or im seeing misconfiguration...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nonsense, and no idea what you have configured for garbage.

You use dnsmasq as DNS server and the option "local DNS" adds 192.168.1.1 as upstream server in the dnsmasq configuration, this is a loop, the router can not be its own upstream dns server.

Routers
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 0:06    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT as DHCP server on home network Reply with quote
wiredcharlie wrote:

Does anyone know what to set on the Broadband router so that its own LAN ports can see the internet properly with its DHCP is off?

I only zoomed in at your diagram at this stage. And it seems strange to me that you have the DHCP server, not immediately after the ADSL connection, but after two other routing devices on the network.

It's counter-intuitive to place a critical function of your network (i.e. assigning identities to devices prior to its knowing which IP address (device) to send/receive traffic to and from.

Its like placing a traffic light behind the traffic on the road instead of in front.
wiredcharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
May I explain the reason for the configuration.

The Broadband router is in the office room where the telephone line is accessible and it provides 1Gbs LAN. This connects to the the middle router (which is in the loft space for good wifi coverage) and also 1Gbs LAN. The DD-wrt router is 100Mbs and so is at the end where the TV is. The idea is that using DD-wrt as the DHCP server provides convenience in terms of retaining network configuration, static IPs etc when changing the Broadband router when the next bargain broadband offer comes along. I am fully prepared to find out that you guys aren't smart enough to make this topology work properly either Wink
...but I figured I could try asking; and I am grateful.

Quote:
It's counter-intuitive to place a critical function of your network (i.e. assigning identities to devices prior to its knowing which IP address (device) to send/receive traffic to and from.

Really?

I don't think the problem is with the DD-wrt router, because the only connections not working properly are clients plugged directly into the Broadband router.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I am fully prepared to find out that you guys aren't smart enough to make this topology work properly either Wink

It is not a problem to configure it correctly.
But I won't bother feeding you with a spoon, because a number of configuration details are missing here.
and I'm not getting paid to fix any garbage configurations.

In addition, you do not listen to what the experienced users say, so your problem.

Smile

See what dnsmasq says about it if you specify the router IP as "local DNS".

Code:
Aug 6 10:48:05 DD-WRT daemon.warn dnsmasq[19959]: ignoring nameserver 192.168.1.1 - local interface

Your statement cannot be correct that it doesn't work without "local DNS" and that it is functionally relevant.

Smile

Routers
wiredcharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, if I knew what I was doing I would have solved this by myself, and I agree that I don't understand what I'm doing.

OK, so DD-wrt helpfully ignores my stupidity.

I confirm that if I set Local DNS to 0.0.0.0 it makes no difference, clients connected to middle router and DD-wrt work properly and clients connected directly to the Broadband router appear to connect to websites but then cannot complete downloading a page.

Please understand that I am trying to fix the bit that doesn't work, not the bit that does work anyway, despite my stupidity.

I can easily solve all this by enabling DHCP on the Broadband router and disabling the DHCP server on DD-wrt. But I want to avoid copying my static IPs across.

So, I will be able to manage without your spoon, ho1Aetoo, but I was hoping that someone here would see through this problem in a way that I cannot.
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiredcharlie wrote:

I don't think the problem is with the DD-wrt router, because the only connections not working properly are clients plugged directly into the Broadband router.

In case you need clarification of what ho1Aetoo wrote.

Your current layout (as you described) is not the logical way in terms of data packet flows despite it partially works. This makes it harder to explain while you maintained your incorrect assumption.

But here are a few hints in my final post for you however.

- ADSL2 D/L speed is 200mbps maximum (my understanding of current ADSL technology). So, your 1gbps broadband router D/L speed is still maxed out at 200mbps DL.
- It's better to place your broadband router in Bridge mode.
- The DHCP server router should be the next one connected to the broadband router. And follow from there.

Good luck.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@wiredcharlie

then you just have to tell your dd-wrt router that it sends the right gateway via DHCP (tab Service > Dnsmasq Infrastructure > Additional Options)

Code:
dhcp-option=br0,3,192.168.1.254

Otherwise, as I said, not enough configuration details..

Routers
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
D.F.Cruizer wrote:
- It's better to place your broadband router in Bridge mode.
- The DHCP server router should be the next one connected to the broadband router. And follow from there.

The only drawback to placing the ADSL router in bridge mode is that if the LAN ports are required for the network's assets' connectivity, then an additional unmanaged switch would be required. Definitely agree that the DD-WRT/DHCP server should be in between ADSL router and the other router. We presume that the other router is not DD-WRT supported.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
CustomizeBuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT is a third-party, open-source firmware that can be installed on certain routers to enhance their functionality and features. One of its capabilities is acting as a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server on a home network. DHCP servers are responsible for assigning IP addresses and network configuration information to devices (such as computers, smartphones, and tablets) that connect to the network. Instead of manually configuring IP addresses on each device, the DHCP server automates this process, making it easier to manage and maintain a network with multiple devices. If you want to play Roblox Mod Apk game then visit it. When you use DD-WRT as a DHCP server on your home network, it means that your DD-WRT-enabled router takes on the role of managing IP address assignments for all devices that connect to your network. This is particularly useful in a home setting where you have numerous devices coming and going, as it simplifies the process of connecting devices to the network.

By configuring DD-WRT as a DHCP server, you can ensure that each device connecting to your network is assigned a unique IP address and appropriate network settings. This helps in preventing IP address conflicts and streamlining the network management process. Keep in mind that proper configuration of the DHCP server's settings, such as IP address range, subnet mask, and lease duration, is important to ensure smooth operation of your home network.

In essence, using DD-WRT as a DHCP server on your home network improves network management efficiency and makes it easier for devices to seamlessly connect and communicate on the network without manual IP address configuration.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: