DD-WRT as a switch or even a hub?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fargodude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:56    Post subject: DD-WRT as a switch or even a hub? Reply with quote
This is probably a dumb question, but I can't figure how how to configure this router to act like a switch or even a hub.

I turned on DHCP Forwarding, and this seems to work on one computer, and I can access the router at 192.168.1.1, but I can't connect to google.com.

I tried to turn of DNSMasq and that did not help. I tried to turn off the firewall, that did seem to even work.

The DHCP forwarding does not even work so good on one of the two machines, but it works fine if I just connect it to the first router.

For WAN type I have DHCP and I see that the gateway is blank. That does not seem write.

Any ideas?

Thanks
FD
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router has a built-in switch. By default only the 4 LAN ports (and wireless LAN) are part of the same broadcast domain, but you can change this behavior by enabling the WAN port to switch option. Then you have a 5 port switch.

Basically all you have to do is disable internet connection and disable DNS/DHCP. You can also disable the wireless radio if you wish.

See the Wireless Access Point tutorial in the Wiki if you need more info.
fargodude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43    Post subject: Router as a switch. Reply with quote
Thanks soulstace for setting me straight.
Trying to connect to the 5th wan port without reconfiguring it is not going to work very well. I see that now.

-FD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: