"Save" vs. "Apply Settings" button

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
peter.verstappen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 13:48    Post subject: "Save" vs. "Apply Settings" button Reply with quote
Running on WRT150N (EKO 9346 STD version).

What is the difference between the buttons "Save" and "Apply Settings"? Some screens also have the "Reboot Router" button. Is there a clear overview of situations when I have to reboot after changing settings?
Sponsor
dacman61
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based on how I used the "Save" and "Apply Settings" buttons, I use the Save button to save the changes but not activate them in a sense. This works well when you have several settings to change on several different config pages, but don't want to kick them off until all of your changes have been made. Once you have all your settings lined up then hit "Apply Settings" and all of your saved settings should go into effect.

This method works well when setting up a repeater just as an example.

Hope this helps you out.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes this is correct.

Save makes the changes to the parameters but only saves them in RAM (it gets wiped out if you power cycle or reboot)

Apply performes a

nvram commit

which saves all the parameters to the nvram part of the flash chip (which does not get wiped out if you power cycle or reboot)

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that's just the opposite of what I thought. I thought "Apply" simply meant to apply the changes right now, and "Save" meant make them permanent (while also making them take effect).

I have to believe that a lot of people think that "Save" means, well, save -- and not just until the next time you reboot the router, either.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Yes this is correct.

Save makes the changes to the parameters but only saves them in RAM (it gets wiped out if you power cycle or reboot)

Apply performes a

nvram commit

which saves all the parameters to the nvram part of the flash chip (which does not get wiped out if you power cycle or reboot)

redhawk

thats not correct. save saves really. so on next reboot the settings are taken. but save does not trigger any service restart. so apply will then just restart all neccessary services while save just saves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
So that`s mean that when I go to wan settings in DD_WRT using your build and hit save ,router won`t restart ,only when hit apply settings then will reboot.

1xWRT54Gs v7 DD_WRT v24 RC-7 (05/26/0Cool micro - build 9517M
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

thats not correct. save saves really. so on next reboot the settings are taken. but save does not trigger any service restart. so apply will then just restart all neccessary services while save just saves

So...why when I setup a repeater and change the IP address of the router and click SAVE, do I still connect to the router at the default address of 192.168.1.1 until Apply is clicked?

When I reboot the router without hitting apply the router's active IP address is still 192.168.1.1 and not the value I selected on Setup>>Basic Setup.

????? Now I am confused.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Igor81 wrote:
So that`s mean that when I go to wan settings in DD_WRT using your build and hit save ,router won`t restart ,only when hit apply settings then will reboot.
There is a difference between "restart services" and reboot. Apply should just restart the needed services, not a full reboot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk, that's a good question, but I'm happy to see that I wasn't completely out to lunch on this and that it's the way BS described. The only part that I got wrong was that Save doesn't also put the changes into effect immediately.
niconet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

So...why when I setup a repeater and change the IP address of the router and click SAVE, do I still connect to the router at the default address of 192.168.1.1 until Apply is clicked?

When I reboot the router without hitting apply the router's active IP address is still 192.168.1.1 and not the value I selected on Setup>>Basic Setup.

????? Now I am confused.

redhawk

How "Save" and "Apply" are working according to my experience with v24 RC-7...

1. Sections under Enable/Disable

On some of UI pages where you have "Enable/Disable" part, you have to click Save after changing field in one section. Looks like click event for Save button is not touching unchanged fields but saving only fields from first found changed section.

2. List sections

List sections such us firewall or NAT list for example. In one of the WiKi's page about firewall there carefuly noted then you MUST to save then apply list item before adding another one. I made mistake once and added numbers of items to NAT list and clicked Save then Apply... Yeap, that has been saved, but some how applied only my first item (NAT for HTTP server), router reboot did not help as well. I have erased all of it and then did "add", entered data, "save", "apply" for each new record... and that works...

3. How "Apply..." is working
In mini version, "Save" click is making changed data written in NVRAM. So, when you clicking "Apply...", some depended processes will be restarted with using of updated/saved in NVRAM parameters. Is it clear?

So, it is kind of UI logic, and I found it fancy and usable, something from old IBM VMS -- "triple thing what did you enter, over thing what do you do". Seriously, I saved a lot of time by this "fool" protection, just because enterd data one by one (especially in QoS section)...
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the WRT300N running V24-SP1 standard and the router seem to restart itself every 12-14 days. I decided to try the mini version of V24 SP1 to have less services running.

I realized that every single time I make a change and "Apply", the router reboots. Is this expected of the mini version because I don't remember having to reboot when I save any settings for any section, only related processes will be restarted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: