Life expectancy of a router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aerohunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Life expectancy of a router? Reply with quote
I have a buffalo whr-g54s with dd-wrt ver 2.3 for about 2 years, it had been running perfectly until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It keeps rebooting itself or just stop working completely several times a day, I had to power cycle it to get it going again. At times the connection is fine, but very very slow. I thought maybe the p2p software, Transmission (Mac) is causing the problem even did have the setting set to 4096-90-90. So, I stop using any p2p. It helped for awhile, but the problem is getting worst. I have 2 Mac connect to the router. Most usage is web surfing and some light usage of p2p.

So, I thought maybe it is time to upgrade DD-wrt to the newer version, I did the 30-30-30 before and after flashing it with Ver 2.4 SP1 std, and disable wireless security(I read somewhere the security is causing trouble). Now, the router is still having the same issues, it would stop working completely with the red DIAG light on in the front of the router. I get up time of less than 1 hour at a time.

I begin to think the Buffalo is dying. Is there something I can try? flash with a different version?

Now I am using my back up $10(after rebate) Zyxel c330. Webpages loads a slower, but even with p2p on, it has been up for hours now, with no problem.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 2 of these units. They both tend to run hot. One of my units has a standard aluminum finned heat sink on the processor...the other has this "rubbery membrain" type heat sink...both run almost too hot to touch.

But...both are working just fine.

I suspect that its a hardware problem not FW related.

It might be time to go out and upgrade to an Asus WL-520GU or a Netgear WGR614Lv8 unit....both are the latest in my collection and both these units are in the $40-$55 range. 4M flash and 16M RAM.

The SP1 build of FW is pretty buggy...you can try this build but it may not cure your problem...give it a try though.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24_TNG%2Fsvn10991/

Any NEWD build will do except MEGA...it won't fit this unit.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Re: Life expectancy of a router? Reply with quote
aerohunter wrote:

So, I thought maybe it is time to upgrade DD-wrt to the newer version, I did the 30-30-30 before and after flashing it with Ver 2.4 SP1 std,

Definitely try a newer firmware. SP1 had issues. It might not be a solution, especially since thing ran fine for a while, but it is worth an upgrade.

Hard to say what to recommend. Some very nice builds have come out recently. I would suggest either 10431, 10776, or the very latest build 10991.

It might also be a heat issue. Have you upped the TX power, or overclocked it in any way?
aerohunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Re: Life expectancy of a router? Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
aerohunter wrote:

So, I thought maybe it is time to upgrade DD-wrt to the newer version, I did the 30-30-30 before and after flashing it with Ver 2.4 SP1 std,

Definitely try a newer firmware. SP1 had issues. It might not be a solution, especially since thing ran fine for a while, but it is worth an upgrade.

Hard to say what to recommend. Some very nice builds have come out recently. I would suggest either 10431, 10776, or the very latest build 10991.

It might also be a heat issue. Have you upped the TX power, or overclocked it in any way?

Thanks for the reply, I will try the newer FW.

No, I have not upped the Tx or overclocked it. But the router is in the kitchen, maybe I should open it up and see if it is dirty.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 17:32    Post subject: Re: Life expectancy of a router? Reply with quote
aerohunter wrote:
Donny wrote:
aerohunter wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I will try the newer FW.

No, I have not upped the Tx or overclocked it. But the router is in the kitchen, maybe I should open it up and see if it is dirty.

Good point...if it gets a lot of "grease" build up that can also effect the unit...grease will attract dirt making the unit even hotter.

open it up....with it unplugged....wash the mobo with alcohol...let it dry for a few hours before powering it back on. (make sure all the alcohol has evaporated...rubbing alcohol contains water...so if you can get your hands on straight Isopropanol or Ethanol (190 or 200 proof) it would be better.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
It might be time to go out and upgrade to an Asus WL-520GU or a Netgear WGR614Lv8 unit....both are the latest in my collection and both these units are in the $40-$55 range. 4M flash and 16M RAM.

The supported hardware wiki used to have a section which listed at least one DD-WRT model you could get on the cheap, and I wish someone would do it again, since it's very difficult to work backwards from a huge list to see which ones are inexpensive.
aerohunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 23:52    Post subject: looking good again Reply with quote
I flash it with the 10991 std, and open it up did some cleaning. It is running well for about 1.5 hour. Hopefully it will stay that way.

While cleaning, I remove a gray piece of plastic/foam type of material off the broadcom chip. It looks like the chip got so hot that some of the gray stuff were melted and stuck on the chip. There were also a bunch of oil/grease like stuff on the chip. They look like there are suppose to be there. I clean all that off, I wonder if that will be a problem later on.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 0:08    Post subject: Re: looking good again Reply with quote
aerohunter wrote:
There were also a bunch of oil/grease like stuff on the chip. They look like there are suppose to be there.

I doubt it...Cleaning is likely what it really needed. Post and let us know the outcome.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 0:18    Post subject: Re: looking good again Reply with quote
aerohunter wrote:
I flash it with the 10991 std, and open it up did some cleaning. It is running well for about 1.5 hour. Hopefully it will stay that way.

While cleaning, I remove a gray piece of plastic/foam type of material off the broadcom chip. It looks like the chip got so hot that some of the gray stuff were melted and stuck on the chip. There were also a bunch of oil/grease like stuff on the chip. They look like there are suppose to be there. I clean all that off, I wonder if that will be a problem later on.

This grey foamy stuff is that "rubbery membrain" I was talking about...it was the heat sink....I suggest you get a metal finned heat sink and glue it on there with some Arctic Silver heat sink compound....your router will live a VERY short life without it.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

The SP1 build of FW is pretty buggy...you can try this build but it may not cure your problem...give it a try though.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24_TNG%2Fsvn10991/

redhawk

What is the difference between all those files?
What do I need for a WRT-54GL & WHR-HP?
aerohunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been up for 6 hr, no problem. I notice some error Received (RX)
990688 OK, no error
Transmitted (TX)
1040928 OK, 11 errors

what are the acceptable number of errors? I thought 11 is fairly low, I think I had higher numbers before.

I found a couple of heat sink, will get some Arctic Silver and put it in tomorrow.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
aerohunter wrote:

I found a couple of heat sink, will get some Arctic Silver and put it in tomorrow.

You likely should not run it until you have the heat sink in place properly. Electronics can fry suddenly and without warning.

Your error levels are fine. Anything close to 100% is great. Depends on your connection..noise, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: