Linksys WRT54Gv2 SD/MMC Mod Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
niteshade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Linksys WRT54Gv2 SD/MMC Mod Issues Reply with quote
I've just followed all instructions for modding the router to enable SD/MMC support. However, after doing all the soldering etc, I plugged in the microSD with SD adaptor and turned the router on. All the front lights except the DMZ one turned on and hung.

I took out the card, unplugged the router from power, and reset it. Then I turned it on without the card inserted. It booted up fine. So I put the card in and mounted it via the GUI. It mounted it and then hung again - same LEDs lighting up, no response to GUI etc.

I did some searching on the forums, and I found one person who had a similiar problem, but he said that he formatted the card manually with ext2 and then it booted up hunky dory. So I tried that. With the same results.

I've got pictures of all the soldering, and the router itself. Thanks in advance for the expected help.
Sponsor
anonymous123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
@niteshade

- What GPIO uses you for the mod, GPIO 2 or GPIO 5?. (I suppose you use the GPIO 5) Wink
- What is the capacity of the microSD card?.
- Have you tried with the optimized mmc.o module from OpenWRT

I suggest you check this post. I done this mod in a WRT54GL with a 2 GB microSD card using the optimized mmc.o module mentioned before.

Kind regards.
niteshade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there

From what information I could gather, my router is a GPIO5 as you said.

The microSD card is 128MB.

And the worst thing is, rather embarrasing but, how on earth do I transfer that driver over to the router?

Thanks again
anonymous123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@niteshade

You can test the optimized mmc.o module mentioned before by uploading it to the "/tmp" folder (which is mounted in RAM) of the router via SCP (remember first enable SSH support), after uploading the module, insmod the uploaded module (example: "insmod /tmp/mmc.o") and check the dmesg output. If the card is initialized successfully, try mount the card (if already formatted, preferably with ext2 filesystem) and check the "df" command output showing the card mounted. Remember disabling before the MMC support in the webgui in order to avoid the insertion of the dd-wrt mmc.o module. In a nutshell:

Code:
scp /path/to/the/mmc.o root@router_ip:/tmp/
ssh root@router_ip
insmod /tmp/mmc.o
dmesg
insmod ext2
mount -t ext2 /dev/mmc/disc0/part1 /mmc
df

Kind regards.
niteshade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erm, I'm really grateful, anonymous123, but which program should I use for SCPing into the router?

I really am new at this stuff - so please excuse me for the somewhat duff questions Very Happy
anonymous123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
@niteshade

In order to have in your machine scp and ssh client you can use WinSCP and PuTTY.

Kind regards.
niteshade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you SO very much. I'll post the results as soon as I manage it. I'm really grateful!
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
microsd card didnt work for me. i had to get a sd card and its working great.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=242172#242172
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=245550#245550

anonymous123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
@moreins

I done the SD/MMC mod in a WRT54GL 1.1, the mod has attached a Kingston 2 GB microSD card with the SD adapter and works great with the optimized mmc.o module from OpenWRT. The dd-wrt mmc.o module keeps rebooting the router after formatting automatically the card at startup. Check this post.

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: