Help setting max wireless transmit power level, please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SweetBearCub
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26    Post subject: Help setting max wireless transmit power level, please. Reply with quote
I have a Cisco/Linksys E1000 v2.1. Currently running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/14/11) mini, SVN revision 17201.

Under 'Advanced Wireless Settings' for 'TX Power', I have a value of 45 mW currently. I changed it from the default of 71 mW because of something I read (which I now forget) saying that this specific router had issues with some TX power levels.

I have recently had a friend complaining of a weak WiFi connection to my router, so I would like to increase the TX power, but only if it is safe to do so and I do not risk burning out my router.

What is a safe maximum value for this specific hardware?

Also, perhaps related, for my laptop on the router (wireless), I have noticed quite a few signal errors. The laptop is maybe 12 feet away, and I see the following on my wireless status page:

Received (RX), 100% 6925421 OK, 2 errors
Transmitted (TX), 100% 10775606 OK, 1935 errors

Is that error count under TX very high (over 16 days uptime),and if so, would increasing TX power help?

Thanks!
Sponsor
MartinHerrman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, that amount of errors is very good actually, don't worry.

Increase the value to 70 will not harm, just try, and if it doesn't help, switch it back. Most issues I have been facing are caused by clients, not by the router. (solutions were in updating client drivers).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: