wrt54gs v7 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
kevin666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh wait i was wrong! after it sitting for about a minute the all the lights went off but the one ethernet light

from the looks of the pings its in a loop. 4 responses then 2 time outs ttl=100
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:
oh wait i was wrong! after it sitting for about a minute the all the lights went off but the one ethernet light

Your close.. Use your jtag to erase nvram & kernel. Then tftp the firmware one more time.. This time, WAIT for the router to boot after the tftp. It can take a while. Relax & have a beer...

Not waiting may have been your biggest problem all along.. I've been there & done that.. (not waited long enough)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
dim power light but not as dim as iv seen it. the wlan light is just blinking on off on off on off same delay. the cisco light isnt on and no ping response. the one lan light is on also
kevin666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
kevin666 wrote:

Your close.. Use your jtag to erase nvram & kernel. Then tftp the firmware one more time.. This time, WAIT for the router to boot after the tftp. It can take a while. Relax & have a beer...

Not waiting may have been your biggest problem all along.. I've been there & done that.. (not waited long enough)

i waited pretty long. it was atleast 15mins. went to mcdonalds and came back and reset it. i will try again tho
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:
dim power light but not as dim as iv seen it. the wlan light is just blinking on off on off on off same delay. the cisco light isnt on and no ping response. the one lan light is on also

What does that mean exactly.. Here is how I see it:

You now have a good cfe on the box or it would not have taked the firmware.

You didn't wait long enough after flashing the firmware before messing with the router and it is all f$cked up again but the cfe should still be intact.

It is normal for the power light to be dim when there is no running firmware.

If you erase nvram & kernel, your box should respond to pings with ttl=100 and not be rebooting so it will take the firmware again via tftp. This time.. WAIT after the tftp flash.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:
it uploaded the firmware via tftp and i waited 15minutes and reset it. the power light was on and the one ethernet light was on when i unplugged it. pluged it back in and its bricked with 5 lights once more. back to square one. can somebody give me the wholeflash.bin please? the original linksys or ddwrt it dont matter.

Man, do you know how long it would take to JTAG a whole flash? Lets just say you'd have to sleep on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
how long should i wait? i read somewhere that it shouldnt take more then 10 minutes to be functioning. after the tftp uploaded and i waited 15mins the power light was on when it was just really really dim before. now the power light is on and wlan is on but they arent as bright as the lan light
kevin666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
kevin666 wrote:
it uploaded the firmware via tftp and i waited 15minutes and reset it. the power light was on and the one ethernet light was on when i unplugged it. pluged it back in and its bricked with 5 lights once more. back to square one. can somebody give me the wholeflash.bin please? the original linksys or ddwrt it dont matter.

Man, do you know how long it would take to JTAG a whole flash? Lets just say you'd have to sleep on it.

for as much time as iv spent on this thing i dont care about the wait. from what iv figured out this far if i could get a good wholeflash flashed it should be ready to go. i just keep having problems after i tftp the file. the router ends up just not responding

i think the time i tryed a wholeflash from a wrt54gv8 it took ~2hours
kevin666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
could i just rename the dd-wrt.bin to kernel.bin and flash it with the jtag?
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
kevin666 wrote:

for as much time as iv spent on this thing i dont care about the wait. from what iv figured out this far if i could get a good wholeflash flashed it should be ready to go. i just keep having problems after i tftp the file. the router ends up just not responding

Good then do as BW says, flash the firmware via tftp, then go have a beer, watch a tv show, go grocery shopping. All this is far less of a wait then wholeflashing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
kevin666 wrote:
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
kevin666 wrote:

Good then do as BW says, flash the firmware via tftp, then go have a beer, watch a tv show, go grocery shopping. All this is far less of a wait then wholeflashing.

iv done it twice now. keeps just locking up after the tftp is done. waited 20minutes each time before i unplugged it.

exactly what ddwrt bin file should i be using? i have like 8 different micro's that are 1668KB - 1728KB

EDIT: uploaded the one from the wiki for the gs v7 and the power light came on bright after waiting 5 minutes and now its doing the ping loop thing. i am going to leave it sit for a few hours and see what happens. the TTL is 100 from the pings
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:
could i just rename the dd-wrt.bin to kernel.bin and flash it with the jtag?

Yes... after kernel is flashed, it will require a power cycle. erase nvram before flashing the kernel.

Last edited by barryware on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevin666 wrote:

iv done it twice now. keeps just locking up after the tftp is done. waited 20minutes each time before i unplugged it.

exactly what ddwrt bin file should i be using? i have like 8 different micro's that are 1668KB - 1728KB

EDIT: uploaded the one from the wiki for the gs v7 and the power light came on bright after waiting 5 minutes and now its doing the ping loop thing. i am going to leave it sit for a few hours and see what happens. the TTL is 100 from the pings

Once the power light comes on and the wlan light lights, the router is booted.. Give it another minute and power cycle... I have no idea what your problem is. I do this often and I have never had the problems you are reporting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
kevin666 wrote:

Once the power light comes on and the wlan light lights, the router is booted.. Give it another minute and power cycle... I have no idea what your problem is. I do this often and I have never had the problems you are reporting.

I agree. As much of a PITA as v8 or 7's are I feel like I can get mine down and flash'em blind folded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
after not touching it for 2 or 3 hours i came back and the power light was on somewhat bright and the wlan light blinking like what happened before. no response from ping either. i power cycled it and no power light yet but it responds from ping and keeps timing out ever 4 twice. i guess im just going to leave it alone for another half hour and try to erase the nvram and kernel and use the jtag to put the kernel.bin on it.

when i got the router it only showed the management mode page so im guessing there was something wrong with it to begin with. hopefully i can get it working but i only paif $20 for it + $6 to make a jtag then i already had the 7dbi antennas

EDIT: power cycled it and its back to the power light and wlan light on but kinda dim and the wlan just flashing and no response
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: