UPC netherlands, not getting IP from cable modem with Linux

joakim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 15:23    Post subject: UPC netherlands, not getting IP from cable modem with Linux Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm really curious if someone else have had the same problem that I've just encountered, the problem is this;

My WRT-54GL router got fried yesterday. Probably because of overheating, but who knows, it had been running for one and a half year without problem, the only time it's been shut off has been when the power has gone out.

My local store didnt have that device, and since it did got fried, i thought id go for something else so i got the WRT320N instead.

Connected it when I came home and eventually after rebooting the UPC cable modem, i did get a link and internet working.

obviously the stock linksys firmware sucks, so i started the upgrade firmware procedure. All went just fine, but I did not get an IP from the modem.

I tried connecting a couple of my PC's, all running linux, same thing. Got on the phone with UPC, rebooted the modem, disconnected cables, etc etc, and still nothing.

after a lot of arguing with the person on the phone, who didnt know what linux or os x was (she kept referring to 'please push the win-button and r and type cmd' repeatedly) i gave up and just to shut her up, or so i thought, i booted into windows instead.

to my surprise, i got an IP directly.

After that i connected the router again, but that did not get an IP.

connected the windows pc again, IP instantly. I thought it could have something to do with the MAC-address on my laptop having the reservation, so I decided to clone my PC's ethernet MAC-address to the router.

Connecting the router again to the modem and strangely enough, it worked.

I have after that reset the modem and unless I connect a Windows PC, I am not allowed to get an IP address.

I wish I were a network guru so that I could confirm my suspicions here, unfortunately im not.

However, network guru or not, am I stretching this too far believing that UPC are scanning the devices connected to their modems and if linux shows up in their nmap or snmp scans, they just plainly refuse to let the device connect?

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: