x86 Chipset Compatibility

tav48
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:10    Post subject: x86 Chipset Compatibility Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I'm building a little DD-WRT x86 box and was wondering if the following chipsets are compatible?

Intel 82546GB
Intel 82541PI
Realtek RTL8168B

I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r27805 std (09/11/15)

Also, once I buy the full version, can you go beyond 65535 connections?

Cheers.
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I was you I would try the public versions first.
If you have less than 3GB ram and a single core CPU

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/x86/

Use this one if you have more than 3GB ram and dual core or better.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/x86_64/

If the public one works with your Ethernet cards your using. You can be 100% sure the paid version will work with the same cards and have 65535 max connections and some WIFI card support.

Do not waste your time with release r27858. It broke the WAN connection on my system and to revert back to r27805 to get it working.
tav48
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks man, I ordered the cards... will see how it goes Very Happy
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well how did it go for you?
tav48
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply.

I ended up getting the paid version and it works great. I bought the 6 port PCIe Intel card but haven't fitted it to the box yet.

It's behind my fibre connection and it doesn't miss a beat. I ended up using v3.0-r27805 std (09/11/15). I haven't upgraded to the latest build because I expanded partition 2, and am too lazy to set it all up again Razz

Thanks for your help Very Happy
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes if you update the expanded partition will go back to its default size.

Oh and the WAN did work on the most recent version too. It was rearranging the card assignment after that version I told you to get.

As of right now I am trying to get the NAS to work with spare SATA drives and IDE drives.

But you have to know Linux commands to mount them I guess.
The ones on Wiki page did not work for me.
tav48
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you go with mounting from different drives?
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:23    Post subject: Mounting drives Reply with quote
It seems the easy way to mount drives for NAS purpose is to use external hard drives with USB 2.0 ports. I have not tried any USB 3.0 cards like an Asmedia 3.0 USB cards yet.

You just plug in the drive in the USB port and make sure the USB core support and automatic drive mount is on. And Storage Support is on. Then enable SAMBA.

It will list the available drives and the directory like /mnt/sdb1 and so forth if you have more than 1 USB drive.

Select that and do not put anything in the subdir field. Then put something in the NAME field. Then make it public and with read and write and save. It will show up networking in windows to read and write to.

Its best the drives are using ext3 filesystem and not NTFS. Otherwise there will be 100% CPU usage if you read and write to NTFS drives. Using ext3 will also mean a computer running windows will be able to read them if you plug in those drives directly to a computer running windows. Unless there is a program that will install something for windows to read and write to ext3 formatted drives.

I was told by BrainSlayer the reason for high CPU usage is because everything is transferred using the PIO transfers which means Processor Input and Output mode. Instead of DMA mode which is much faster and bypasses the need to use the CPU like Windows can do.

I have not been able to mount the drives internally by using SATA ports or IDE port because I can't find anyone who knows how to do it yet. They all point me to a Wiki page that does not make sense to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: