Unable to connect to network virtual box

gb01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:16    Post subject: Unable to connect to network virtual box Reply with quote
Hoping someone can provide some guidance on how to allow dd-wrt to access the network when setup as a virtualbox guest. Host OS is is Windows XP, running virtualbox 4.0.0. I've configured the VB guest network to be bridged. I'm guessing the problem is related to the use of a static IP 192.168.1.1 but I'm not sure. dd-wrt starts and I'm able to log in as root. But every few seconds, I see the follwoing errors:

connect: Network is unreachable
gethostbyname: network is unreachable

It also looks like there are errors reported at startup, but they roll past so fast, I can't read them. As you can probably guess, I'm not a got a lot of experience with linux terminal interface.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
read:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Sash. I did extensive searching and reading on the dd-wrt site and the web in general before posting. Unfortunately, nothing I've found has been of help. I'm probably missing some key but basic fact to make this work.

When setting up the guest os, I followed this article https://rafeequl.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/how-to-run-dd-wrt-on-virtualbox/ and the x86 page on the dd-wrt wiki. i.e. I did increase the drive size to 250Mb and used the vboxmanage utility to convert from the public .image file to .vdi.

The thread here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=176879 Suggests that these errors are normal until you configure the network. But I've been unable to find any network config directions for this. All other documentation seems to indicate that I should be able to connect to the web interface after following completing the steps. I did configure the virtualbox network as bridged as mentioned previously... Can someone point to where the additional network config documentation is? If it is referencing to the dd-wrt configuration via the web interface, that is not possible until I can connect to it, unfortunately until dd-wrt is able to connect to the network, I can't do that. right?
deejbee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this was posted a while back but did you solve this as I've got the same problem in VirtualBox.
JimmyPage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 13:47    Post subject: Me too !!!! Reply with quote
Have created a virtual machine in Virtualbox, and directly mounted the .image file, as a .hdd file.

Seems to read & boot fine (although there are NVRAM write errors ?) and gets to:

Code:
connect: Network is unreachable
gethostbyname: Network is unreachable

and then just hangs.

I have set up 2 Network Adapters. The first is Bridged to eth0, which is my hosts main internet connection with a DHCP router. The second is a NAT adapter.
JimmyPage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just can't see how to get this working. Can happily boot the image. And hitting a key at the "gethostbyname failed" line brings up a login prompt.

I can log in, but the (virtual) network cards seem to be unconfigured - they have no IP address. Therefore I can't get to the browser based control panel.

I'm not a linux guru, so the whole thing will have to remain parked there.

I wanted to ensure I could understand the controls, before flashing and setting up a real router - I especially want the OpenVPN client functionality.

Just thought I'd leave this note for others.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are some link to working vmware images in the forum. they can be run from vbox too
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
No disrespect, but I would like to get *my* installation running, not use someone elses. That way I can understand what I am doing.

UPDATE: There was a hint in one of the posts I read, but if you are having problems with your Virtual install, check what network cards your virtualisation engine is using. I changed from VirtualBoxes default "PC Fast" card to an Intel PRO/1000 card, and now, DDWRT seems to be picking them up and displaying br0, and br0:0 as interfaces, rather than eth0/eth1

I still can't seem to connect to them though. I am now digging into how Virtualbox presents the interfaces in the host machine.
cshort
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread has some good information. The site linked below has additional information on installing DD-WRT in VirtualBox.

https://lamp-r.blogspot.com/2015/09/create-virtual-router-dd-wrt-in.html

Last edited by cshort on Sun Jun 05, 2016 19:57; edited 1 time in total
gtippitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:43    Post subject: Rude Guru Reply with quote
Can anyone become a DD-WRT Guru like Sash by just saying something rude and insulting whenever anyone tries to get help?

For two day, I've been reading and trying to get an x86 setup running on an old PC and another in VirtualBox. Whenever I find someone trying to get help on this forum, the main responses I find are rude and non-informative posts by Sash.

Er ist ein Esel statt Eule.

Greg
gtippitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:08    Post subject: VMs of DD-WRT for download in the forum Reply with quote
The links are all old and no longer work which Sash refers everyone to go find and use to download working VMs. They were not supported official downloads, only things that other users and temporarily put online for others to copy.
Redfredg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is for more advanced networking needs such as network simulations and running servers in a guest. When enabled, VirtualBox connects to one of your installed network cards and exchanges network packets directly, circumventing your host operating system's network stack.

For each card, you can individually select what kind of hardware will be presented to the virtual machine. VirtualBox can virtualize the following six types of networking hardware:

AMD PCNet PCI II (Am79C970A);

AMD PCNet FAST III (Am79C973, the default);

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM);

Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC);

Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM);

Paravirtualized network adapter (virtio-net).

The PCNet FAST III is the default because it is supported by nearly all operating systems out of the box, as well as the GNU GRUB boot manager. As an exception, the Intel PRO/1000 family adapters are chosen for some guest operating system types that no longer ship with drivers for the PCNet card, such as Windows Vista.

The Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop type works with Windows Vista and later versions. The T Server variant of the Intel PRO/1000 card is recognized by Windows XP guests without additional driver installation. The MT Server variant facilitates OVF imports from other platforms.

Thanks !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: