Best settings for using a mobile hotspot as primary ISP

gcnickel77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 13:09    Post subject: Best settings for using a mobile hotspot as primary ISP Reply with quote
I currently have an Asus RTN12 router loaded with ddwrt and a netgear ac791l mobile hotspot through verizon with unlimited data. (4g for the first 10 gig and then 3g) I have my hotspot connected to an outdoor 30dbi antenna so im getting 5 bars even durring incliment weather. What is the best settings on my router to use for this type of setup? Keep in mind the RTN12 has no usb port so tethering is not an option. I would like to use the mobile hotspots wifi signal as a wan connection on the router. I.E. the router distributes the data and assigns the ips and the hot spot just provides the internet. Im really not sure how to go about this so i was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this could help me.I have a few devices ready to connect to the router via ethernet but would it be possible to connect my wireless devices to the router instead of the hotspot? thanks
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
gcnickel77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
alright client mode works good. a little bummed that i need to purchase an ap to connect to ethernet in this mode so i can pull wifi from the router but i will get over it. also to anyone else who live in a rural area that are prospecting this type of setup i want to mention if you go through verizon DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DEVICES. phones, hotspot, etc. I have two galaxy s6 and one has just had the latest android update and the other has not been updated (oh they are trying to update it.) and i have noticed 2 things. you wont be able to use foxfi or any tether hiding mobile hotspot app with the newest update and also my ddwrt doesnt even pick up a wifi signal through the built in hotspot app period! i can use and pickup just fine on my s6 that hasnt been updated and on my ac79l1.(too scared to update just for the reason above.) anyway just food for thought. anyone know of fixes coming?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
gcnickel77 wrote:
alright client mode works good. a little bummed that i need to purchase an ap to connect to ethernet in this mode so i can pull wifi from the router......

If you have Client mode working just switch it to Repeater mode ....not repeater bridge....
Repeater mode will allow you to create a VAP for wireless clients to connect.
All in all you'll probably be better off with an AP wired to it ....but there is the option

Good luck

--- after you create the VAP and set it's password you should reboot for all to work
and one more thing.....VAPs generally do not work well on any K2.6 builds after January 2015.....so use a K3.x build or an older K2.6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: