VPN Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Kickedup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:11    Post subject: VPN Questions Reply with quote
I know that if I setup ExpressVPN on my router or any kind of VPN service, that my internet access from within my network to outside is encrypted.

If I access the internet from a public wifi, I'm supposed to setup VPN on my router, and use OpenVPN and DDNS (for hostname) to establish an encrypted connection back to my own network to access my network.

My question is:
1. is the above correct?
2. Can paid VPN like ExpressVPN help me with both?
3. Do I need to setup an additional VPN to connect back to my own network from a public wifi network?
Sponsor
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The easiest way is to setup VPN Client on your home router so everything inside your home network is protected.
You can setup the VPN separately on your portable device(s) for when you use public wifi.
I'm not sure about Express VPN, but ipVanish has their own App for iOS & Android. You can also install and configure it on other devices such as a Laptop.
This makes it very easy to protect yourself when you're away from home. Especially with public wifi!

Just make sure you disconnect the VPN on your portable device when you return to your home network. Simultaneous VPN connections can cause a conflict.

Hope this helps!

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25    Post subject: VPN Questions Reply with quote
I am quite a fan of ExpressVPN (quelle surprise) and can confirm that subscribers have access to Apps for routers, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux devices.
Split tunnelling is available and the WRT routers App allows selection of which devices are protected by the VPN. Hope this helps.

Regards, lim

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
set-up a VPN Server on your router and a client on your remote machine. No external VPN Service is needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: