WDS TP-Link C9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nmarmolejo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33    Post subject: WDS TP-Link C9 Reply with quote
Hi Everyone, new to the forum. I just purchased a TP-Link Archer C9 V1. I want to use this as a range extender with my current TP-Link Archer C8.

I just flashed the C9 with build 31899 successfully.

the Archer C8 is stock TP-Link firmware. Do I need both Routers to be using DD-WRT to enable WDS Bridge or can I do it with C8 being stock as the host and the C9 as the remote router?

I tried to setup WDS using the C9 but its not working. I don't get any connectivity between the routers.

Still working steps and need to go back and try the troubleshooting steps of removing all security.

If anyone knows if both need to be DD-WRT that would be helpful so I can flash the C8 instead of troubleshooting an unsupported solution.

Nmarmolejo
Sponsor
nmarmolejo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30    Post subject: Read The tutorial Reply with quote
well I should be ashamed. If you go read the tutorial section in the wiki it has exact steps on how to do this. It specifically says the host router does NOT need to be running dd-wrt.

got it up and running.

Leaving this for anyone else who does a quick search in the forum.
gibson3659
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking to do the same. Did you setup wds on 2.4G or 5G? What security method are you using on the wds/ap link?

I ask because the 5G chip is the same for C8 and C9, but the 2.4G chip is different.
gibson3659
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went for the C8 and C9 combo, but my WDS link won't stay up. I've only tried on 2.4G so far. I'm using the latest betas. Any ideas?
gibson3659
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've managed to get it stable with C9 as the outer and C8 as the extender, but at a cost. I had remove all WPA encryption, and I had to enable WDS on both bands. Ideal would be WPA2 with WDS only on 5G. I am using recent betas, so wondering if anyone has a different experience with older releases.

VAPs with encryption don't seem to work properly, so I can't use WDS on non-broadcast SSIDs and access on encrypted VAPs either.
nmarmolejo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi gibson.

I followed the instructions in this wiki tutorial.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Mine was just backwards of what you are trying to do. I used the C8 as my primary router leaving the stock tp-link firmware.
I flashed the C9 with dd-wrt and configured that one as the wireless bridge using the 2.4G band. I used the 2.4 band as the device I was connecting to it did not have 5g option.

I was able to use the full wpa-2 encryption with it.

gibson3659 wrote:
I've managed to get it stable with C9 as the outer and C8 as the extender, but at a cost. I had remove all WPA encryption, and I had to enable WDS on both bands. Ideal would be WPA2 with WDS only on 5G. I am using recent betas, so wondering if anyone has a different experience with older releases.

VAPs with encryption don't seem to work properly, so I can't use WDS on non-broadcast SSIDs and access on encrypted VAPs either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: