Asus ac66u b1 (dd-wrt r34777) can't switch FW + gets hot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lamalediction
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00    Post subject: Asus ac66u b1 (dd-wrt r34777) can't switch FW + gets hot Reply with quote
Hello,
I would like to switch firmware but I can't get it to happen.
The exact model of the router is Asus AC66U B1 H/W Ver:B2 running DD-WRT r34777 for AC68U.
I have sent the latest Asus (for ac66u B1) and Merlin (for ac68u) firmwares to the router through the mini web server and through Asus Recovery.
The upload goes well and I have always given plenty of time for the router to reboot and do its thing. Meanwhile, it gets really hot. Both of the firmware basically keep rebooting endlessly. Asus-WRT lets me login but reboots shortly after. I couldn't go that far with Merlin
Last time I reverted to DD-WRT after this whole process, the temperature it indicated was 95°C!
Does this mean that there is something wrong with the hardware?
Is the endless cycle of reboots caused by some sort of failsafe that will not allow Merlin and Asus firmwares to run at such high temperatures?
Let me know if you need more details and thank you very much for your time and help!
Sponsor
lamalediction
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks but I don't think dust is the problem, the router is brand new...
I hope it's not a heatsink as I'd rather not have to open it, although I imagine it would be rather straightforward.
I tried installing Merlin again, it worked but the router was very hot after that so I turned it off. I'll let you know more on Monday.
Again thank you very much!
lamalediction
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I took ages to come back and update my post. If anyone is interested, I brought it back to the shop as it was recent enough. They exchanged it and I was able to install Merlin on the new one without any problem and it's now running at a lower temperature (under 70°C) and stable.
So I guess it was a faulty unit (could have been a displaced heatsink like eibgrad suggested)...
Anyway, thanks again, eibgrad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: