Using ddwrt router with Mobile Broadband Wan Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MelectroK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 15:02    Post subject: Using ddwrt router with Mobile Broadband Wan Connection Reply with quote
Apologies first as I haven't done too much searching as I am at work and nothing that immediately popped up appeared to be helpful.

I see that the WAN connection type can be set to Iphone Tethering or Mobile Broadband. I didn't want to change it on my router due to the fear of loosing internet connection. I am trying to figure out how to set the router up using a USB 4G device or an android mobile device with USB tethering to be my main internet connection. Where can I find some steps or examples for this? What devices are compatible? How can I add devices?

My only other option I see is WIFI tethering to an access point plugged into the WAN port. I thought I could do better then this. So any additional methods might be helpful if the previous USB option will not work.

My router is an Asus RT-AC66U, and I am currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r29218giga (03/07/16).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
MelectroK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had some time do some searching. Though I haven't seen exactly what settings I need to change I did find this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Broadband

Which has a list of many devices that work with DD-WRT. However the list is from 2009. I am trying to determine which device I should purchase. Does anyone know where I can find a much more recent list of devices without using the trial and error method?[/code]
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also highly interested in this. could not get android USB tether to work. Or iphone for that matter, tried both. Anyone has done this recently?
LoganRe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jagster936 wrote:
I am also highly interested in Leanbean and in this. could not get android USB tether to work. Or iphone for that matter, tried both. Anyone has done this recently?

I could swear I've read this was possible at some point. I also tried doing this recently and it went nowhere. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this.

Last edited by LoganRe on Wed May 11, 2022 9:43; edited 5 times in total
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was broken several firmwares ago. I’m leaning towards separate LTE router plugged into WAN port. It’s a shame though with such a capable system as DDWRT. I haven’t found anyone who has gotten it to work recently. I wouldn’t care except DDWRT so well supported with OPENVPN.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
good/bad/indifferent, but FWIW...
I've had better luck with this line of "solution" with the OpenWRT based ROOter project. I've got it running on an old E3000 and can USB tether as WAN from Google Nexus/Pixel phones with no issues.

Link:
http://ofmodemsandmen.com/

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx! I took a look at this also, a good solution. But not as elegant. If I'm going to use seperate device I'm going to go ahead and get a nice Mofi or similar LTE Modem/Router and bridge it over to the DDWRT router (for OPENVPN client). This should be a nice setup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: