WRT3200acm randomly losing wifi and rebooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:29    Post subject: WRT3200acm randomly losing wifi and rebooting Reply with quote
Originally, I believed this issue stemmed from a hardware problem. However, after replacing the router, I've eliminated that possibility. For years, I've relied on the original firmware from the dd-wrt router database without encountering this problem. It was a bit embarrassing to realize that the router database was not up-to-date. Upon discovering this, I began following a forum and downloading the latest firmware. Surprisingly, this is when the issues began.

My setup consists of three wrt3200acm routers in bridge mode. The first router is connected to my cable modem, with one router on each floor, all connected via wired connection. Essentially, the last two routers function as repeaters.

Periodically, especially when someone is using the internet or streaming Netflix, the signal will suddenly drop, and the router will reboot. I can tell it's rebooting because when I rush downstairs, I see all the lights cycling off and then coming back on. I've been upgrading to the latest firmware for the 3200acm, with the most recent being the 1/29 version. As I write this, I have just upgraded to the 3/3/2024 version.
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
SFE (Shortcut Fowarding Engine) deactivated?
VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my WRT3200ACM: SFE off, DD-WRT v3.0-r55135 std (02/17/24) alpha rebooted randomly at 11 days or so. Currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r55246 std (03/01/24) alpha, uptime is at almost 9 days. It's not as frequent as with SFE turned on, but it is still randomly having a conniption fit and rebooting. I still haven't set up persistent logging to USB to catch any possible logs of crash, and don't have serial connected. Until the kinks are hammered out, probably going to be normal...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
SFE (Shortcut Fowarding Engine) deactivated?

So I just discovered this when searching the forms and turned it off. However, I read that this feature increases speed? I did a on/off while doing a speed test (internet) and didn't notice a difference. Is that internal speed?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a kernel module / driver that accelerates NAT by redirecting / bypassing packets
Unfortunately, this does not only have advantages.

if you use routers that are fast enough you don't need such problematic tricks

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#Flow_Acceleration.2C_SFE_and_Cut-Through_Forwarding

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue *should* be resolved in 55615 and newer releases if it's the same exact problem that Atheros was having.

----------------------
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi,

I just experienced this on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r55630 std (04/03/24).

All of sudden, we loose internet and the uptime counter has re-started.

is this known for newer FW updates?

Wifi is disabled I have wired access points.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't flashed 55630 yet, currently at 4 days ~16 hours uptime on 55615. Need syslogs / serial logs if it is still occurring on Marvell.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
SFE does not have any use when used as an AP. It only functions when the WAN is used.
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
just experience the reboot after about 4.5 days on DD-WRT v3.0-r55677 std (04/06/24)

also happened on, v3.0-r55630 std (04/03/24).

How do I enable logs? thanks

EDIT: ok, I found the logging in System Log, Syslogd services tab.

But, I guess I will be updating to the new FW also.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still on 55615 at over 8 days uptime with SFE enabled - and am probably only going to bump to 55630 until the next 0 or 5 drops. Need to share configuration details specifics, in particular Setup -> Basic Setup in pull (screenshot of full page in Firefox or Edge). Full system/kernel logs, properly sanitized nvram show output may also help us troubleshoot. Worst case, you would need to do an 'nvram set console_debug=1' for detailed debug information in logs. Something is definitely awry in your configuration or you need to do a full hard reset and start from scratch.

----------------------
Gray8300
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've also been on r55677 for about 5 days without a crash with SFE re enabled which is a lot longer than when I used to get the crashes. Also I'm not sure about how your logging is set up, but when I was looking into the crashes I had to set up external logging to a USB device as each time the crashes happened, everything was gone from the logs since they didn't persist beyond reboots.

If you manage to have a log showing the crash, here is what mine looked like. If I recall someone else posted their crashlog and it was very similar, so you could check to see how yours compares.
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks, all

I did something that you're not going to like, I downgraded back to the July 2023 build.
I posted here:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=336331

I never had any crashing issues with the July 2023 build of my WRT32000ACM.

We work from home and having the internet just cut out like that is not good.

I'm not an advanced user (i don't even know what SFE is?), so my FW is mostly stock. In basic setup i have Automatic DHCP, have 1 dns server defined, have uPnp enabled (for Home Assistant Stats) and WIFI on the router is disabled (both bands). I have 4 wired access points in my home that deal with wifi, and around 160 connected devices.

Thre reason why I decided to update from the July 2023 was because every once in a while, Home Assistant would complain that the router is not connecting (it tells the status of connected devices and mode stats which I use for automations), however, even on the new FW, the problem with Home Assistant was still happening so this tells me its not router issue, but rather a Home Assistant issue. Here's the issue I reported:

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/104044

But these random reboots are really upsetting, so I just downgraded back to that July 2023 build. Your logs are from Nov 2023, which has me more concerned about this resolving this issue.

I'd be happy to share more about my settings, if required.
Gray8300
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spoke too soon, today I had a crash/reboot with SFE enabled. Prior to this, I'd not experienced a single reboot after disabling SFE, so I'm going back to disabling it even on these newer builds.

ddwrt_guy wrote:

I'm not an advanced user (i don't even know what SFE is?), so my FW is mostly stock.

It would likely be enabled by default, it's Shortcut Forwarding Engine in the Setup->Basic Setup->Optional Settings section. If you want to know for sure whether or not this specific issue is what's causing your reboots, you could disable this setting on the new builds and see if your rebooting continues to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: