issues with X86 version of DD-wrt v24

moneyman1978
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 19:47    Post subject: issues with X86 version of DD-wrt v24 Reply with quote
So i know i am not the smartest person in the world but i know i can get certain things to work for me. I am currently trying to set up a DD-wrt X86 image to run on any machine. i have tried 2 seperate machines thus far and both are failing at the GRUB menu. I downloaded the image then i put it on my usb thumb drive booted to Hardy heron bootable cd bring up the command console and do the dd if=dd-wrt_blah_blah.image of=/dev/sda

and then i reboot the system with the usb thumb drive out of the box and the cd out also and i get a grub menu saying the kernel is booting and nothing after that. Can someone point me in the right direction i have been working on this for about 5 days now and i am getting burnt out no finding any problems with any of my hardware.

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
jammer1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I can't help, only second your frustration... I tried the public and the registered versions with no joy... Hardware powers up, get to GRUB on the screen and then....nothing....

-Jammer
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You did try dd-wrt_blabla_vga.bin? if you did try serial.bin then you are not supposed to see anything after kernel boot, as it is using serial port as console rather than screen..
moneyman1978
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Olmari. Yeah i have tried the VGA and i get an enless loop after the kernel boot. So if i am not supposed to get anything after the kernel boot. What should i see?
moneyman1978
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where all i see is kernel extracting then i just have a frozen screen thats the .serial image. The endless loop is the VGA.image
Zapy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
moneyman1978 wrote:
Where all i see is kernel extracting then i just have a frozen screen thats the .serial image. The endless loop is the VGA.image

you have the "frozen screen" because after the "freezing" it outputs to the COM port.
to read that you need a 9pin d-sub cable that you connect to another computer and download putty for e.x, and choose serial to the right and change the speed to 115200.

and in vga mode, you don't have a chance to see what it says? do it start at all or just directly after the kernel extract?

edit: i just read your first post and you did notice that you installed it to " /dev/sda " that's scsi or some sata-chipsets turn up like scsi, the sda/scsi support is not enabled in the dd-wrt v24, im trying to get a hold of brainslayer to see if i can compile a new version with sda/scsi support but with no luck, olmari maybe have better contact with him?
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got this issue.

To fix it, I edited the menu.lst on the first partition of the DD-WRT boot device. There I changed ttyS0 to tty0; this enabled me to access the system using my monitor/keyboard instead of the COM1 port.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
i figured it out. Apparently i was using a SATA HD and since SATA is a modfied version of SCSI it would not work. So i put in an IDE HD in the computer and everything worked properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: