x86 install

jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 0:41    Post subject: x86 install Reply with quote
i found a small via mother board with 1 pci, 128mb of ram and a fanless processer. I have a IDE solid state drive 64mb, i format it in windows. I use the physdiskwrite and wrote the vga version to it. However after writing the disk only shows just over 2mb used on the disk.

Then when i put it in and boot, it keeps tellign me about all the folders it cant find etc, however it does come up with the dd-wrt login page, and can login, but am faced with limited commands (not really sure what to do here as i am used to the web gui)

Please can somebody give me some advice on what to do, where i might be going wrong
Sponsor
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aww how about connecting the new router to computer and surfing to 192.168.1.1?
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
directly into the computer? see i tried to plug it into my router but it wouldnt get an IP address on my DSL router. There dosnt seem to be any useful guides for installing x86 or trouble shooting.

What i am a bit lost with is that the image file says its extracting 11mb of data yet the disk only shows 2.4 mb have been used
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
by router I mean the new dd-wrt you have just made up... directly to computer... and then try access 192.168.1.1 which is DD-WRT default LAN-IP
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there, i did understand i just didnt put it down well in my last post! does it matter what format the disk is in? NTFS / FAT / FAT32? also if you browse the disk should you be able to see any files on the disk?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The format doesn't matter... Physdiskwrite overwrites _anything_ there is on the disk beforehand... Afterwards there will be DD-WRTs own partitions and such.. So in windows you can't use that disk anymore after that procedure, because windows doesn't know squad about linux partitions... With another linux you should see something..
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont know if it makes a difference but i only have one NIC in there, it tells me that eth0 is not ready yet and when it is unpacking the linux install it keeps on saying how files / directories are missing. When it all stops then i can login to dd-wrt but when i connect it to the computer it only gives me the windows private address (169.254.x.x)
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well with one nic it should be the LAN nic so it should work nevertheless... Sorry I am becoming out of ideas here... Is it v24-sp1?
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
AH HA, sucess. I put the flashed drive into an old p3 instead of the other unit i was using. When i had it over here by my computer it wouldnt pick up an IP, then i connected it to my router and still nothing (realised that both were acting as DHCP servers) then when i connected it to a screen i saw that the PC was getting stuck in the post and so dd-wrt wasnt loading, a quick tap on f1 and we were away!

Just a few quick questions about this x86

DSL router ---> cat5 ----> WAN NIC
PC
other AP ------ < cat5 ---- < LAN NIC

If say i had a few AP's connected by cables could i just use a switch on the LAN NIC to connect say another 5 AP's?

AP1 ---
AP2 --- Switch --- LAN NIC
AP3 ---

Also when i put another NIC into the PC to act as the WAN or LAN NIC how to i tell DD-WRT what one does what?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you could use switch to connect other access points... Actually that would be best possible scenario... (I mean no wireless hops, accesspoints directly with wires), also I see no point having a "own" LAN nic per AP at the hostrouter, too redutant or so... an switch should be more than enough :)

Then you can then use same SSID ans exact same wireless settings, just use diffirent channels on each AP to prevent crosstalk. Just set additional APs with help of http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point.

You can define your WAN NIC at Setup --> Networking -page, where you can also define other NICs that are they bridged (to default LAN) or unbridged where you could then do more advanced settings, mostly with scripts or so...
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok so got it all up, router working. Got 2 NIC's one for lan and wan. the WAN one gets a DHCP from the DSL router which is great but how do i bridge them together so i can get a connection?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: