ESXi? If so, hardware recommendations?

Angry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 23:54    Post subject: ESXi? If so, hardware recommendations? Reply with quote
Anyone tried getting DD-wrt x86 working in ESXi?

Ive been running it in Vmware Workstation for over well over a year, and just had the board crap out in my comp that does my VM's and media serving.

So Im planning on taking DD-wrt x86 and my other VM's thats been hosted on my Windows 7 media PC in the basement to a completely separate machine for just DD-wrt x86 and my VMs and leaving my media pc to itself.

Id like to do this with ESXi, using a 990FX motherboard with IMMOU/Direct Path for ESXi and passing a dual PCIe Intel NIC directly to DD-wrt x86.

I tried this awhile back with ESXi 3.5 on a 32bit host,(just testing) but had issues with the console in Vshpere not showing up in Windows 7 (its a 3.5 bug, have to have WinXp) And never finished it. Id be doing 5.0 and 64bit this time, so I shouldnt run into that issue.

Anyway, cliffnotes:

Has anyone tried DD-wrt x86 in ESXi, and if so, have they passed a NIC directly thru to it?
Sponsor
Angry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Closest thing I have is, here:

http://rhoadesbrown.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/building-a-dd-wrt-image-in-vsphere-5-0/#comment-25

Where the author tells you how to build the image for ESXi.

But how would one pass the LAN side of the DD-wrt x86 VM outside of ESXi to a physical switch for a physical network, instead of just the virtual....?
j911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't need to pass through the lan ports to ddwrt. Create a new vswitch and assign a physical nic to it. In esxi add a second nic (intel e1000) to ddwrt. See it has been assigned to lan. Use the same vswitch for all other vms too. Job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: