Windows XP wireless cannot acquire ip address from WRT54g v5

ka6uup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 21:58    Post subject: Windows XP wireless cannot acquire ip address from WRT54g v5 Reply with quote
I recently updated firmware for my WRT54g v5 router to DD-WRT v24-sp2 micro with out any issues.
I have 4 computers 3 of which connect wirelessly. The fourth, my wife's, is the computer which is connected via cable to the router.
I used my computer to flash the firmware because my wife's is an older and slower computer.I am using Windows XP SP3
Now, the other two wireless computers connect fine but my computer will not connect. It hangs when trying to acquire the ip address.
I can get it to work though if I do a power reset of the router and do a repair on the wireless network adapter while the router is rebooting. It then acquires the ip address and remains connected until I shut down and restart.
I suspect something was changed during the flash but am not sure.
Here is what I have done:
First I tried a system restore but that did not work.
Then I Googled the problem and tried several things.
I removed the wireless network connection in Device Manager and rebooted and created a new wireless network connection; no luck.
Then I ran the Microsoft Fixit to repair TCP/IP,that didn't work.
Then I tried netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from the command Prompt. That didn't work
I then installed Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 but that didn't work.
I then noticed the original TCP/IP was still there in Properties so I unchecked it. The wireless adapter immediately connected! However, shutting down and restarting the computer showed the same problem so I rechecked the old TCP/IP in properties.
I tried again but it didn't work
I discovered that, somehow, DHCP Client had been disabled so I set it to "Automatic," deleted and reinstalled my WUSB54G network adapter but,It still doesn't work.
I have done a 30, 30, 30 reset and done a minimal configuration. but still no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

I have discovered the Windows Zero Configuration works fine. When I logged on to it and it connected immediately.
I have disabled Linksys' Wireless Network Monitor for now.
It appears something is blocking the Linksys monitor.
Chuck

I turned off the firewall on the router and was able to connect using Linksys' Wireless Network Monitor.
However it keeps disconnecting when trying to load browser.
Chuck
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WRT54g is a Broadcomm based hardware. So you are in the wrong forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: