Successful ESXi install. Suggested specs?

gordonf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 16:54    Post subject: Successful ESXi install. Suggested specs? Reply with quote
I successfully deployed the public x86 image to a vSphere ESXi VM. Ironically, I used a Zeroshell live CD to copy the image using dd and following the x86 Wiki instructions.

This is a bare-bones install though; 64 MB VHD, 256 MB RAM, one CPU core, and two E1000 NICs. I'm sure I can do better with more RAM and more disk, and getting a Professional license.

I'm also getting a couple of annoying things; "function ej_get_cputemp not found" and "function ej_get_voltage not found" constantly re-prints on the VGA console when I view the status page. It also wants to swap the WAN and LAN connections once I enable the WAN interface, which is no big deal for a VM I suppose.

The VM router otherwise works just like I'd expect a Linksys-alike would work.

How can I get rid of the console messages related to voltage and temperature? They don't make sense on a VM. And what would be a good disk / ram config for a DD-WRT x86 VM? I haven't seen a 64 MB hard drive since my Amiga days.

(Too bad USB WiFi devices aren't supported. I can't present PCIe devices to VMs on my VM host; the CPU doesn't support it.)
--
Sponsor
gordonf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 17:53    Post subject: Trying newer versions Reply with quote
For anyone else looking, DD-WRT has a FTP server (ftp.dd-wrt.com) with newer beta versions than the one available for download on the main site. Would've been nice to know this in the Wiki...

It's there that I attempted to use r24461 as a 'flash upgrade' (it is a VM after all) and while it flashed OK, it started complaining about not being able to write any changes I made to settings. A fresh image corrected that. I also jumped to the x64 release since I'm running this on ESXi 5.1.

The r24461 release removed the cpu temperature and voltage complaints at least, so that's one question answered.

I'm seeing vmxnet3 (10 Gig) source in the SVN... I'm looking forward to seeing that built in a later version (r24461 x64 doesn't have it).
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: