PC Engine APU1d support?

mirko_47
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 15:22    Post subject: PC Engine APU1d support? Reply with quote
Hi all,

I would like to replace my actual router with something more powerfull, so I started to watch for x86 based hw.

The idea is to use the PC Engine APU1d, that I've seen recommended in this thread from Sash.
So if possible I kindly ask you to confirm me that this board is supported.

I've another couple of question: Smile
As you can see from my signature what I've to replace is not a router only, but is a modem/router, since i prefer to have the modem and the router together, i was wondering if i will use this card (...and this adapter) with the APU1d, can I make it work?
As you can see from the description the modem is not directly controlled by the PCI interface but it can be controlled from the Realtek RTL8100CL chip; so if I don't mistake, according to what is written in this post, it should work, can you confirm?

And then the last question:
About the Wi-Fi card, do you have any suggestion?
I don't need super powerfull card, i need only a good Wi-Fi N card.
I've found this, that it uses the ATH9k, so can you please confirm that it should work?
It should be a good option?

Thank you very much in advance for every answer.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry but I've another question:
There's any plan to bring ipkg support on the x86 release?

Thank you very much again

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
up Exclamation
no one can give me an idea???

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm using the apu with ath9k right now
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the answer.
The previous week I've decided to order the APU1d, so now when I will receive it I will give a try to your last build.
Regarding modem card I've chosen to don't use it since I find much more economical modem devices.

Thank you very much again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Few last builds doesnt work work stable Sad
Web interface freezes very often (firefox). Since r24461 (23.06.14), I can't set TX power greater than 16dBm (Atheros AR9280), so I can't use WiFi in the whole apartment. I'm testing newer builds, but all the time going back to r24461. Somehow most stable for me Rolling Eyes
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are many newer betas
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both for the answer.
The board was finally arrived last week, unfortunately I wasn't able to test it with DD-WRT until now 'cause first I've to clean the HDD that I've chosen to use with it.
Meanwhile I've tested it with OpenWRT, and if I've to be honest i don't like very much the web interface... but it supports opkg that I need.
I'm sorry if I repeat my question, but: there isn't any plan to bring ipkg support to x86?
no way?

Thank you very much in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would you mind giving us an update on how this is working and what you are using it for?
Why did you decide to uses a HDD over the SD card?
What did you get for the wireless and antenna?
Are you by any chance running OpenVPN?
Which version did you get?
Are you using the PC_Engines case or something else?

PC-Engines ALIX 2C 128 - OpenVPN Server (TAP)
HooToo TM-02 - N Travel Router
mirko_47
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the moment I've only used OpenWRT, but when finally I'll recieve the SSD I will move to DD-WRT, of which, as I said, I prefer the WebGUI.

In any case today to aswer I've tried the build 24461 as suggested from tatabrada, and is working pretty good (CPU & RAM were recognized in the right way)

I've used an HDD 'cause you can't boot from a non-IDE device, so you need to use an SSD or an HDD.
As Wireless card, I've choosen an ath11k (Compex WLE900VX), which someone says that is unstable, but in my case I found it stable and fast (I've to say that I've tested it only in N-mode).
I've never used VPN, but OpenVPN deamon it seems to be supported, no idea if it runs good or not... sorry
About the version that I've choosen, I've tried the trial of the full edition.
About the case, I've purchased all the system (except, the Wi-Fi card) from Varia-store, which it seems that is the only one that it sells the 2,5" HDD compatible case, if you need some photo, I've shot a couple, that I've uploaded here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxHW2MMDoAYfYVFGM21qYV9pamc&authuser=0
If you need some other do not esitate to ask for it.

The only thing that I've found that isn't good is the Transmission Deamon, it
literally eats RAM!!! seriously, even when is used with only two active torrent it can reach over 2GB of RAM utilization, infact in my case, with the APU1d (the one with only 2GB of RAM), I was forced to use a quite big SWAP partition (4GB).
I've to say that I ran into the same problem with the OpenWRT image that I've builded by myself, so it might be a Transmission deamon bug.
In any case if possible I would like to ask to @Sash or any other developer if they can suggest any workaround to fix this problem.
Any idea??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I am missing something, but in the APU manual on page 3 it states one can "Boot from SD card (built-in adapter, connected through USB)" .

I am smitten by these little USB drives. They make small 16GB for about $12US, which would make it easy to try different OS/Versions.
http://www.silicon-power.com/product/product_detail.php?main=10&sub=40&pro=257&currlang=utf8
http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/item/40-atom/879-atom-32gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive

Nice box. Unfortunatly they want $50 to deliver to the US. I have not seen any thing other than the stock box in the US.

I am running x-86 25309 (11/11/14), but I only ran it as a router briefly. Its an OpenVPN Server, no wireless. No navigation issues. Not sure of the X-64 or the full versions are performing different. Strange to see DD-WRT with no wireless menus.

You can also run pfSense or IPFire which have prebuilt images. Might help determine your wireless issue. Like DD_Wrt just physdiskwrite and go. Much easier process than my Buffalos and Linksys. They are to big to run on my ALIX.

PC-Engines ALIX 2C 128 - OpenVPN Server (TAP)
HooToo TM-02 - N Travel Router
mirko_47
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
RangerZ wrote:
Maybe I am missing something, but in the APU manual on page 3 it states one can "Boot from SD card (built-in adapter, connected through USB)" .

I am smitten by these little USB drives. They make small 16GB for about $12US, which would make it easy to try different OS/Versions.
http://www.silicon-power.com/product/product_detail.php?main=10&sub=40&pro=257&currlang=utf8
http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/item/40-atom/879-atom-32gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive

Nice box. Unfortunatly they want $50 to deliver to the US. I have not seen any thing other than the stock box in the US.

I am running x-86 25309 (11/11/14), but I only ran it as a router briefly. Its an OpenVPN Server, no wireless. No navigation issues. Not sure of the X-64 or the full versions are performing different. Strange to see DD-WRT with no wireless menus.

You can also run pfSense or IPFire which have prebuilt images. Might help determine your wireless issue. Like DD_Wrt just physdiskwrite and go. Much easier process than my Buffalos and Linksys. They are to big to run on my ALIX.

I do apologize, I misunderstand what is written in DD-WRT wiki.
You can boot from your USB key, I've tested today, and is definetly working.
Sorry again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
mirko_47 wrote:

The only thing that I've found that isn't good is the Transmission Deamon, it literally eats RAM!!! seriously, even when is used with only two active torrent it can reach over 2GB of RAM utilization, infact in my case, with the APU1d (the one with only 2GB of RAM), I was forced to use a quite big SWAP partition (4GB).
I've to say that I ran into the same problem with the OpenWRT image that I've builded by myself, so it might be a Transmission deamon bug.
In any case if possible I would like to ask to @Sash or any other developer if they can suggest any workaround to fix this problem.
Any idea??

In addition to this I must say that the build that I've tested it lacks for HDparm (HD idle utility) support, that in my opinion it would be nice if in future it will be added.

Navigation

Jump to: