Vmware and ddwrx86 issues...Please help

wifi_is_simple
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 15:42    Post subject: Vmware and ddwrx86 issues...Please help Reply with quote
i have ubuntu 5.10 on Vmware 5.5 and i tried this not once but many times

i did the dd command and wrote the public vga image..when i boot it stops saying Grub Error 17

Please BS or Indian boy or anyone who have experince reply coz im stuc..

the reason im doing this in Vmware is that before i write onto my hard disk i want to make sure it doesnt give this Grub Error...btw in the dd command i tytped /dev/sda1

Also i wanted to tell that i did a similar installation in Vmware 5.5 of WinXP Pro and then installed dd-wrt x86 using physdiskwrite..it installed easily..

but why am i getting this error messages?Please help me with ure feedback...I would appreciate it greatly..

Thanks...
Sponsor
confused_user
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
use qemu-img to convert dd-wrt_public_vga.image into a vmware image (dd-wrt_public_vga.vmdk). this works for me for dd-wrt and openwrt.

you can use the win32 binary of qemu-img or convert it on linux. i used the win32 binary qemu-img.exe with the command below to convert the image:

Code:
qemu-img.exe convert -f raw dd-wrt_public_vga.image -O vmdk dd-wrt_public_vga.vmdk

next you have to create a vmx configuration file for the vmware player at easyvmx.com and you're done Smile
wifi_is_simple
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
although i appreciate your help confuseduser but the thing is i want it done almost like a replica of what i would do on my own system(for real)

thats why i dont want Vmware images...i want to try it virtually but EXACTLY like how i would do it on my system using my primary harddrive...

thanks again...
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then you should experiment with real machine instead vmware.
maval1ty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
confused_user wrote:
use qemu-img to convert dd-wrt_public_vga.image into a vmware image (dd-wrt_public_vga.vmdk). this works for me for dd-wrt and openwrt.

you can use the win32 binary of qemu-img or convert it on linux. i used the win32 binary qemu-img.exe with the command below to convert the image:

Code:
qemu-img.exe convert -f raw dd-wrt_public_vga.image -O vmdk dd-wrt_public_vga.vmdk

next you have to create a vmx configuration file for the vmware player at easyvmx.com and you're done :)

i followed your instructions but i am not able to change any settings because nvram seems to be read only?!

root@DD-WRT:/# nvram commit
mount: can't find /usr/local in /proc/mounts
cp: cannot remove '/etc/nvram': Read-only file system
cp: cannot remove '/etc/nvram': Read-only file system
mount: can't find /usr/local in /proc/mounts
linearburn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
im having issues witht eh vm image it gives me no ethernet installed no mater what the settigns are and i cant access the admin page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: