soekris net4511 and net4521? what is it?

match417
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 0:53    Post subject: soekris net4511 and net4521? what is it? Reply with quote
I have a general idea of what this is. Basically a friend of mine moved off island and gave me a bunch of networking equipment that he had (zyxel switches, a nomadix gateway, some ethernet over powerline experimental tech, laptops, etc). One of the other things he gave me is two Soekris net4511's still in the metal cases. I initially wanted to sell them on ebay, but it is hard to find anyone else selling them online unless it is just the board w/o the metal case. Since no one else is selling them I can't gauge a price to sell these at. I saw some net4521 boards sell for $10 on ebay, so I figure I'll keep this and see what it is at least. The guy I got it from said it was a programmer? I don't know.

Questions:
1) I read that this can be converted into a wireless router? And I also stumbled across a DD-Wrt post where someone was selling a lot of 5 of them on here.

2)How hard is it to convert this into a wireless router and would it be better than my little linksys E1000?

3)It isn't on the supported devices list, but it isn't on the unsupported device list either. Are these capable of running dd-wrt? Or would I have to try something like tomato?

4) It has a PCMCIA slot from the looks of it and a compact flash slot, as well as another slot that looks like it would hold RAM? Where would I get parts compatible for this?
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiki: x86

just install an atheros wifi card and ddwrt professinal.

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: