AC900/EA6200 DD-WRT firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
lowlymortal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 14:37    Post subject: Reply to black6spdz. Reply with quote
black6spdz, you are correct that both of my CFEs do not have an issue as far as I can tell. Very likely it's the newer kernels or drivers that have something to do with the memory leak. That's why I went back to r28598 with it's v3.10.x kernel/drivers, which has been stable. My router has an uptime of about a month now with no issues.

When I get a chance next, I'll be trying out newer builds and openwrt-dd too.
Sponsor
xaueious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know the original EA6200 settings anymore, but could it be that you guys are setting the RAM to 533 MHz instead of 400 MHz? I'm rock solid at 400 MHz?

Or is there really a memory leak?

On r29620 kong ac and pretty happy with it

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked up a "refurb" EA6200 for $36 on ebay. (the box was opened, but the router itself seemed brand new).

anyway, after 4 grueling hours I finally got dd-wrt up and running! I read through this entire thread multiple times, but its full of contradictory and obsolete information.

Here is exactly what I did to make it work, maybe this will help someone else. Please feel free to point out if there is currently any easier way to do it.

1) flashed from 1.40 to the latest Linksys v1.41 firmware
2) flashed to FW_EA6200_1.1.41.bin (from this thread) to enable SSH access
3) obtained xvortex-cfe-ea6200-as-ea6350-with-ea6200-devinfo.bin, and used CFEedit.exe to change MAC address to match my router (used "basic" mode only). saved file to firmware.bin
4) put this file on a USB stick, plugged it into router, power cycled it, then used SSH to mount the USB drive to /tmp/usb
5) the exact command i then enterred was "dd if=/tmp/usb/firmware.bin of=/dev/mtd0" (using the "mtd" command wouldnt work, the shell didn't recognize "mtd". and the image_writer method didnt work, said i had a bad .trx header. but dd did the trick)
6) reboot the router. reboot again while holding in reset button (thanks to black6spdz for the tip!)
7) it booted up to the CFE loader screen on 192.168.1.1. used InternetExplorer (NOT firefox) to upload linksys-ea6350-webflash.bin from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-04-2016-r29396/linksys-ea6350/ (there is MUCH contradictory info on which bin to use, but this is the one listed on the supported-router list)

dd-wrt loaded up, I set a password and power cycled it a few times to make sure it wouldnt revert, and it looked good. It was 1am by that time so i couldnt do any more testing! but looked very promising..

Like i said, i would love to hear if there is a better way to do this.
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
to elaborate on step 4, i power cycled router after inserting USB drive. then I logged in as root, used admin as password. entered "mkdir /tmp/usb" and then "mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/usb".
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
2 days of uptime and running well!

I also added a small cooling fan, brought the CPU temps down from 92C to 58C. Should i try overclocking now?
assasing123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I have a recently adquired EA6200 but I cannot flash it... the GUI tells me either that the entity is too large, or if I try with one of the CFE bin files, it just says:
daa77b0c
magnum226
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
I picked up a "refurb" EA6200 for $36 on ebay. (the box was opened, but the router itself seemed brand new).

anyway, after 4 grueling hours I finally got dd-wrt up and running! I read through this entire thread multiple times, but its full of contradictory and obsolete information.

Here is exactly what I did to make it work, maybe this will help someone else. Please feel free to point out if there is currently any easier way to do it.

3) obtained xvortex-cfe-ea6200-as-ea6350-with-ea6200-devinfo.bin, and used CFEedit.exe to change MAC address to match my router (used "basic" mode only). saved file to firmware.bin
4) put this file on a USB stick, plugged it into router, power cycled it, then used SSH to mount the USB drive to /tmp/usb
5) the exact command i then enterred was "dd if=/tmp/usb/firmware.bin of=/dev/mtd0" (using the "mtd" command wouldnt work, the shell didn't recognize "mtd". and the image_writer method didnt work, said i had a bad .trx header. but dd did the trick)
6) reboot the router. reboot again while holding in reset button (thanks to black6spdz for the tip!)
7) it booted up to the CFE loader screen on 192.168.1.1. used InternetExplorer (NOT firefox) to upload linksys-ea6350-webflash.bin from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-04-2016-r29396/linksys-ea6350/ (there is MUCH contradictory info on which bin to use, but this is the one listed on the supported-router list)

dd-wrt loaded up, I set a password and power cycled it a few times to make sure it wouldnt revert, and it looked good. It was 1am by that time so i couldnt do any more testing! but looked very promising..

Like i said, i would love to hear if there is a better way to do this.

Hi,

I followed your instructions for converting an EA6200 to a EA6350 and was successful - thanks for the clear instructions! However, I noticed that when I flashed to R29396 the wired lan ports do not have access to the internet. Wifi connections work fine though.

Can you check if your wired ports have internet access? This is a similar problem that I had with my EA6200 (not converted to a EA6350) if I tried running anything later than Kong 24800M - wireless clients would access the internet fine but no wired ports.
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear it helped. I was so frustrated with the glut of outdated and contradictory information on here...

Anyway, I'm still running r29396 from the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-04-2016-r29396/linksys-ea6350/ link in my original directions. I can assure you that definitely the LAN ports do work fine. This has been my primary router for months now and it has worked great.

However, I never had much luck using the wifi interface. I could connect, but it seemed iffy. I never played with it further because i have other boxes setup as access points, I only needed the EA6200 for routing and USB NAS. I just noticed in a post from March in a different thread that LOM wrote "EA6200 has the 5GHz radio as wl0 while EA6350 has the 2.4GHz radio as wl0.
Your radio variables will be for the wrong radio and that's why you get extremely bad throughput.
". Lightbulb, maybe thats why the wifi sucks! I will look further into that...

But back to your problem with the LAN ports, i can help you, but need some more info:
1) when you plug into LAN ports do the individual port LEDs blink at all?
2) under setup, on the "advanced routing" tab, what is your "operating mode" set to, and what selection do you have for the "Interface" drop-down?
3)on the VLANs tab, what bridge is port W assigned to?
4)on the Networking tab, what interfaces are listed for br0 in the "Current Bridging Table"
5)on the Networking tab, what is selected in the drop-down for "WAN Port Assignment"?
magnum226
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will check those settings tonight and get back to you - thanks for the reply!

Also, I did edit the CFE to perform the radio swap LOM suggested so the wifi variables weren't backwards:

devpath0=pci/2/1
devpath1=pci/1/1

I only used wifi for a short time until I noticed the LAN ports wouldn't communicate to the internet but I don't recall poor performance. However I didn't really test it either, so something to check once I get these LAN ports working.
magnum226
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I sort of determined my issue. After much trial and error, I found that some of the wired devices worked ok (eg laptop) but others did not (eg brand new Samsung TV and a BluRay Player). On a hunch I thought it could be a DNS issue so started checking my DNS settings.

I have DNSMasq enabled use Open DNS, so I had the below code in my Additional DNSMasq Options:

no-resolv
strict-order
server=208.67.222.222
server=208.67.222.220
server=8.8.8.8
server=8.8.8.4

The above is from the wiki at this link (see basic setup - option 2): https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS

edit: I just noticed the IP of the second server is wrong. Its correct in portions of that wiki article, but not the portion that I copy/pasted. It should be 208.67.220.220 NOT 208.67.222.220.

Once I remove the above code from the Additional DNSMasq Options, all works fine. I even left just the "servers" listed and removed the no-resolv and strict-order lines but no help.

Any clue as to why this doesn't work with that code? I am running Kong 24800M on a second EA6200 with the exact same code and have no issues at all. I came across this issue when I tried going to Kong 26500M several months ago and thought it was just a bug in that version so I rolled back to 24800M. However, it looks like either a bug in all versions or the code nomenclature has changed.

Thoughts?
magnum226
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: It appears if I take strict-order out of the code AND set 'Query DNS in Strict Order' to disable it works fine.

Thanks for letting me talk myself through this.. Embarassed Laughing
Messi94
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 14:42    Post subject: Help Reply with quote
Hi, I installed DD-WRT on my EA6200 everything worked well, except for 5GHz. I set to default firmware, but now it does not work 5GHz. What to do?
RhodWulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello to all!.
What is the difference between EA6200 AC900 and EA6200 AC1200?.
I have a EA6200 AC1200, that says in the box, but there is not official information from Linksys in his site.

I followed this procedure but I have a very poor performance in 2.4 GHz. I have a EA2700 with DD-WRT and his scope Is much higher than the EA6200 and I guess it should not be like this. Is right?.
Thank you!.
Nikita2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so, i read this thread and the thread for 6350 two times.

I bought a couple of Linksys EA6200's since at the supported devices states its safe to install from FW: ea6350-build 29396

Before i start, i would like to know if its safe to install directly from Linksys Stock GUI to this one (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-04-2016-r29396/linksys-ea6350/) or maybe a newer one like this one (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/03-04-2017-r31571/linksys-ea6350/)

Im aiming to flash DD-WRT without editing CFE's and have an aceptable working Router to use with LAN and WiFi at home.

Any info will be much appreciated!
mariano_quilmes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello I would like to ask someone for advise. I have followed this instructions:

But apparently in point 6 I have made a mistake since there is no FCE page coming out in IE, just a loading ring in the tab, nothing happens in IE nor Firefox. I logged in again with Putty over SSH and there is connection between the reouter and my PC, because if I mount the pendrive I can see its content.

I do not know if there is a way to upload the linksys-ea6350-webflash.bin using SSH or another method to load the firmware.

Is it bricked? or if I can communicate with it there is still hope?

Thanks.

Mariano.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 11
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: