Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 18:51    Post subject: Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions Reply with quote
this time its a little bit easier than v5 and v6 flashing

follow these steps

For v8, first flash vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin from linksys webgui or debrick webinterface
(For gsv7 use vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin)

after the unit reboots, wait about 1 minute.
now plugoff the power cord and replug it in
now do the following
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin

and your unit will run dd-wrt after

please test this only if you're experienced with jtag since this has just been tested on one unit yet

and please provide any feedback on it

dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
 Filesize:  1.67 MB
 Downloaded:  55013 Time(s)

vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
 Filesize:  367.27 KB
 Downloaded:  16902 Time(s)

vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin
 Filesize:  367.26 KB
 Downloaded:  40856 Time(s)

Last edited by BrainSlayer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 22:39; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
...or if you not familiar with tftp command, you can use Linksys's
Tftp utility
(leave password window empty)
r00t69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
I am just writing to confirm that this method works; I had a little snafu using the tftp client from ubuntu, but the windows tftp worked fine from the command line. Thanks, you guys rock.

I don’t know if it matters but I had to push the reset button in the back after uploading the new firmware. Also if any n00b like me try this, it is useful to know that the user is root and the password is admin; had to do some digging for that.

Is there anything you would like me to report/test?

Last edited by r00t69 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:30; edited 1 time in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
it should work from linksys gui as well. if it only works in recover mode, i will note this

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed these instructions but forgot about the waiting for about a minute after flashing vxworks. My router now has no access to the GUI and the wireless won't work at all. The DHCP server is enabled by default though and strangely that still comes through (which is useless for me though because my DHCP server is elsewhere on the network). I used the reset button on the back but now my router isn't even doing DHCP and still no GUI access.

Did I just "brick" my router?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you didnt waited for a minutes you might brick it since the router is flashed with a new bootloader this time. so if you can't access your router at 192.168.1.1 by http after you pushed the reset button long while plugin the power cord
then its very likelly that its bricked. if it responds to ping on 192.168.1.1 its not bricked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It responds to ping... I just can't seem to get into it via HTTP. And the wireless not working scares me because this is my only AP in the house which two computers rely on. :P

Should I try tftping the vxworks firmware (1st bin) again, this time waiting a bit to avoid issues, and then tftping DD-WRT onto it?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
no. if it doesnt respond to http, it will respond to tftp so that means all went well.

so just do tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin

into it. vxworks cannot be flashed with tftp
after tftp successfully transfered the binary, the router will be flashed which takes another 30 - 40 seconds. then dd-wrt will boot up and all is fine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already did the DD-WRT onto it though...

Oh well I'll start again from that point like you suggest and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help here. Smile
sigmaxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:26    Post subject: WRT54GSv7 also Works!! Reply with quote
This process ALSO works with the WRT54GSv7 with only a little HEX modification to the vxworkskillerv8!

*Of course, you'll have to reset the router to factory defaults before flashing*

Here's what I did:

1) Log into the WRT54GSv7.
2) Under the Administration tab, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
3) Go back to the Administration tab [192.168.1.1].
4) Firmware Upgrade via the Linksys GUI vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
5) Update will be successful.
6) Manually configure your Network Card to a manual IP something like 192.168.1.77, then Manually configure Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DNS to 192.168.1.1
7) Hold down the RESET button on router for 30 seconds.
8 ) Wait about 30 more seconds, then unplug router.

9) HOLD DOWN reset button, then plug-in router. Then release reset button after 5 seconds.
10) QUICKLY Open command prompt, and use TFTP command:
11) You will see the activity light on your network indicator "go crazy".
[[If #11 doesn't happen AND you get TFTP TIMED OUT, I had to repeat step 9 then 10 to be quicker]]

12) Wait about 10 minutes, and the TFTP should acknowledge success.
13) Log into DD-WRT Router!!!!

Thank you BrainSlayer + Tornado!!! I just slightly modified your VXWORKS .bin to work this way, too!

GRRRREAT!

vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
 Description:
Works with WRT54GSv7! [BCM5354 Chipset]

Download
 Filename:  vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
 Filesize:  367.27 KB
 Downloaded:  7986 Time(s)

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
IT WORKS! Very Happy

Don't ask me why but tftping dd-wrt onto it again did the trick. Within a minute I was on the main screen. I don't quite understand why though because it's just repeating the step I already did again, but hey if it works I don't really care at the moment.

Thanks a ton for the dedication and hard work you provide for the community, Brainslayer! Coupled with the previous post, we can confidently say that the entire WRT54G series is covered as of today. I was considering buying another router to replace mine for DD-WRT functionality but now I can just use the one I have now. You can expect a donation to the DD-WRT project as soon as I turn age of majority and can (legally) use PayPal. :P

It should be worth noting though that there are still a few bugs present. My background colour on the main page is black and so I can't see the text unless I select it (control-a works easily) and reselect it each time the text refreshes. Also, there is a wireless client showing up on my list with a signal strength of 0. (and it really isn't there). So that's kind of strange. It's MAC address isn't that of my router either.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 21:58    Post subject: Re: WRT54GSv7 also Works!! Reply with quote
sigmaxix wrote:
This process ALSO works with the WRT54GSv7 with only a little HEX modification to the vxworkskillerv8!

*Of course, you'll have to reset the router to factory defaults before flashing*

Here's what I did:

1) Log into the WRT54GSv7.
2) Under the Administration tab, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
3) Go back to the Administration tab [192.168.1.1].
4) Firmware Upgrade via the Linksys GUI vxworkskillerGSv7.bin
5) Update will be successful.
6) Manually configure your Network Card to a manual IP something like 192.168.1.77, then Manually configure Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DNS to 192.168.1.1
7) Hold down the RESET button on router for 30 seconds.
8 ) Wait about 30 more seconds, then unplug router.

9) HOLD DOWN reset button, then plug-in router. Then release reset button after 5 seconds.
10) QUICKLY Open command prompt, and use TFTP command:
11) You will see the activity light on your network indicator "go crazy".
[[If #11 doesn't happen AND you get TFTP TIMED OUT, I had to repeat step 9 then 10 to be quicker]]

12) Wait about 10 minutes, and the TFTP should acknowledge success.
13) Log into DD-WRT Router!!!!

Thank you BrainSlayer + Tornado!!! I just slightly modified your VXWORKS .bin to work this way, too!

GRRRREAT!

you're too fast. i know that this works. it will be published in the official rc3 as well

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick note, I've had the WLAN go out for a few seconds, but after holding down reset button for 30 seconds, it came back up.

This could just be a bug to work out in these new WRT54GSv7's, but I just wanted to mention it.

Any suggestions?

*********edit*********
Thank you BrainSlayer -- I think I just changed too much stuff. Now, after re-doing settings, it still works WLAN 100%. I guess I was just having a temporary "hiccup".
*********edit*********

Last edited by sigmaxix on Thu Sep 13, 2007 23:02; edited 1 time in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
you should see it as "dd-wrt" and its working. i sended also a pm about this
maybe you're confused because the vxworks killer changes the mac address

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have some problems with my V8... Can someone help me?

I've been trying to install DD-WRT using a JTAG cable. First of all, I did a wholeflash and a CFE backup, just in case something happens. Then I started to flash a modified CFE so I could then flash DD-WRT, but something strange happens here: I can't flash a damn thing on it, not even my backuped CFE !!! Evil or Very Mad

I can perfectly read the flash and I verified my backups with a HEX editor... Everything is fine, except I can't write on flash. I even tried to modify HairyDairy's Debrick Utility so it could properly detect the BCM5354 CPU and the EON 29LV160AT chip, but it still doesn't work.

When I try to write on flash, the erase process is very long (but works) and then the flash process stucks at the first byte. Sometimes I can flash up to about 4% where it stucks again.

What's wrong with my router?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: