x86 Slow Down after p2p

kithylin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36    Post subject: x86 Slow Down after p2p Reply with quote
So for a few years now I've been trying to find an off-the-shelf router that's capable of handling seriously heavy peer-to-peer traffic. That is: a connecting to a couple thousand peers & seeds, while operating in the 75 Mbps - 88 Mbps range. And so far have not been able to come up with any. I've even tried expensive $200 routers with gigabit ports, none worked well. All of them after some time on peer-to-peer (as listed above), they all start to screw up some how. The "nice" ones just throttle the speed down and stay online. The crappy ones just die all together and require a reboot.

So when I read about the x86 project for DDWRT, I decided to try that route. I assembled a 1300 Mhz AthlonXP system with 512mb ram on a "Soyo Dragon Plus!" motherboard, with two Intel Pro 1000-M PCI Gigabit cards, and put DDWRT x86 on a 64 MB compact flash card in a CF-to-IDE adapter and stuck it in and it worked right off with no problems.

That was yesterday. Tonight I decided to try torrenting again. It worked for.. about an hour, then suddenly.. *poof* all internet connectivity gone. Rebooted DDWRT x86 box, when it came back, worked again for about another hour, then died again.

CPU usage is never above 10% in the status panel, memory usage is only 3% with 97% free.

I found the wikipage about manually increasing the conntrack via the console. I tried rebooting it, setting that to 16384 right after a reboot, then torrenting again. Ran for 2 hours that time.. died again. I tried 4x the value, ran about 3 hours.. died.

And when it dies, the web interface is still responsive and shows 1% cpu load & 4% memory load. Just no connectivity to the internet from either the console or my PC.

The thing's not being overloaded from what I can tell.

Any suggestions how to make this handle this? If it's a matter of some setting not being high enough I can throw a couple gigs of ram at it and crank it up to 5000x higher. If it's the system architecture being slow I have a Athlon-64 939 with pci-express I could use with a pair of pci-e NIC's. I just want something to be able to handle the load I'm trying to do with it. Sad(

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsor
kithylin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
So no one has any ideas how to modify DDWRT from the console... or.. something to 'force' it up to handle very heavy p2p traffic?

I've now tried to replace the router firmware on my TP-Link N600 router with DDWRT too and it too can't keep up.

Surely someone out there uses torrents or other heavy peer-to-peer traffic on a regular basis and also uses DDWRT and could offer some suggestions......
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
increase the max connections. this is possible in gui too

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this what you are referring to?

Because if so, I already have it set to 4096 and it doesn't appear to go any higher, so apparently 4096 isn't enough.

I think the paid version of DDWRT allows higher connections than 4096, is this true?

Because if that's what is necessary (buying a license) to make this work for me then I will happily do this, if you can assure me that it will solve my "issue" and function for my needs.

Is this software designed/programmed in some way to completely disable/drop the internet connection (all routing) when the 4096 connections limit is reached? Is that what I'm encountering?
toysareforboys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
kithylin wrote:
Is this what you are referring to?

Because if so, I already have it set to 4096 and it doesn't appear to go any higher, so apparently 4096 isn't enough.

I think the paid version of DDWRT allows higher connections than 4096, is this true?
Yep, paid version allows you to go right to 65535 Smile

-Jamie M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: