Wireless connection needed for about 600 concurrent connecti

gomaze
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 18:17    Post subject: Wireless connection needed for about 600 concurrent connecti Reply with quote
All,

I am looking for some help in knowing if DD-WRT or other Router OS option will be able to meet my needs for an upcoming project.

Situation:
Holding a community service event that will have about 600 people at, all with cell phones but in a location with no cell service, regardless of provider.

Goal:
Provide a wireless connection that would allow people to have access to the net to do general items, such as: Post photos, facebook, twitter, etc.

Idea:
I know that a standard router, or even a couple of routers would get crushed in trying to manage all of these connections at one time. The thought is to have a PC that can serve as the router, because of the improved hardware resources.

Questions:
Has anyone done this type of thing before with any success? Does DD-WRT or other Router OS option have the ability to handle this type of load? If so, what wireless card(s) need to be installed in the PC to handle about 600 concurrent connections?

Misc Items:
Everyone will be in a small enough space to be in range of a central access point. Overall bandwidth is not a concern at this point as everyone will not be on online at the same time. No computers need to have the ability to talk to each other on the network. I will want to have QoS running to ensure a select few people have access when they need it. Budget is a concern as there is none. I will be providing the PC and willing to spend some money on required wireless NICs.

Using a class B network design is what I had in mind to handle the volume of connections. I was looking at getting a few dual band wireless cards to handle the connection load. The computer I have has two open PCIe slots. What I don't know is what the best cards are to handle this load and will be compatible with DD-WRT.

Any help that you can provide would be awesome!

Thanks!
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
tha server this amount of users u will need a least 6 AP's (~100 users per AP) to have a little bit performance. more would be better. but u have to be sure that the users get load balanced between routers or use different ssid's.
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: