Asus Rt N12 D1 - SOLUTION

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
dechronic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Note: This is a follow up of my previous post.
I have added the screenshot to show the openvpn settings under Services -> VPN, using the latest version, at the time of writing this;

Version: dd-wrt.v24-31571_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

Once you have clicked Enable you will get the list of options necessary to create the Server or to connect the router as an OpenVPN client.

For the client you get options such as:
    Server IP/Name
    Port
    Tunnel Device
    Tunnel Protocol
    Encryption Cipher
    Hash Algorithm
    User Pass Authentication (This opens further options)
    Advanced Options (This opens further options)
    CA Cert
    Public Client Cert
    Private Client Key

openvpn.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.08 KB
 Viewed:  26751 Time(s)

openvpn.png

Sponsor
ecc29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
So how can we get the official support for RT-N12D1? This topic has been here for more than two years. For K2.6, except some minor problems, it looks the firmware is working. Thanks to the people who contributed their efforts for this model, we also have workarounds for minor problems.

Is this the time to let the development team know that we need an official support for RT-N12D1? By this way they can put some fix in the firmware and announce support for a new model. Also we can have someone look into K3.x problems. It seems K3.x issues cannot be solved without some help from development team.
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
i have an asus RT-N12D1 which is this one:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006JFY6RI

But i cannot find any DD-WRT version that runs on it , i tried multiple.

The problem is it installs but i cannot access the interface. Are you guys sure it is supported?

Has anyone got it running properly and can share the version? (it needs to have vpn) Which version would be most likely to really work? If you like to share it, please provide a link to it too.
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
agio26 wrote:
I finally said to try start the router whit WPS button press instead of reset, immediately started to operate and respond to ping.At this time, wireless, EoIP, DHCP works and tested

This seems to be the normal rather than the exception.

It works for me BUT WPS resets the nvram which means doing this you loose your configuration if you ever have to reboot....
tronki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23    Post subject: Re: Asus RT N12 D1 as a client no Virtual Interface option Reply with quote
hermski wrote:
why can´t i add a virtual interface when putting the router as a client? the Virtual Interface option desapear when i choose Client mode.

i want to connect this router to a wifi network (auto DHCP) in other house and creating a new protected wifi in my house.

can someone help please?

I also want to configure my rt-n12-d1 as a repeater (no bridged). Which firmaware version do i have to install?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus RT-N12 D1
You need a K3.x build for VAPs to work on these newer builds.

download and install --
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/03-30-2017-r31791/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-31791_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

Repeater Bridge (all same subnet) works very well so I assume 'Repeater', 'Client', 'Client Bridge' are all also good.
Also the Reset button works just fine on this unit w/this build.

I haven't done much with this router in long time but I'll tell you how I did what I did and will
probably be easiest for you also. Mine actually had a shibby tomato build on it ... not that it matters really --
1. Reset to defaults
2. Set static IPv4 on computer to 192.168.1.9 /24
3. With the RT-N12 D1 off take pin and press reset button. Power on while holding in reset and continue
to hold ( don't remember 20 seconds or so I guess ) until power light goes into a slow flash.
4. Plug in network cable and go to 192.168.1.1. Should see Broadcom miniserver page.
5. Select the dd-wrt.v24-31791_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin and install. Give it 3 or 5 minutes to flash & fully boot.
6. Hold 'reset' button in for approx 15 seconds -- LAN lights will flash and when fully booted back you
can go to 192.168.1.1 and configure to suit yourself.

As you prolly know default TX power on these are 17. I would not change that unless you just have to for some reason.
Also set the ACK Timing to about 250.
Use WPA aes passwords for wireless .... On RB setup the wl0.1 VAP can have different PW than wl0 -- makes no difference.

In RB setup I could get 78 Mbs wired from computer -- WiFi Sweetspots w/droid turbo phone hold up around 35 ~ 55.
Downloaded 3 Netflix movies with the tablet connected to RB VAP and never a blip.

Don't let the Status page rates deter you.
Using wide band in dd-wrt defaults it only showed 65 while I was banging 75 w/the phone Smile

EDIT: I just updated to r31825 over currect RB setup and all is still good Smile
use - dd-wrt.v24-31825_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
And yea all status page will still show Asus RT-N12B cause dd-wrt don't fully support this Razz
ecc29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Asus RT-N12 D1

Are you sure K3.x is working now? Because in March dechronic still said that K3.x drivers are not stable with RT-12N D1, and a lot of people reported problems when they tried to install K3.x
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ecc29 wrote:
Are you sure K3.x is working now? Because in March .......

You are more than welcome to do whatever you want.
I'm just posting info about the RT-N12D1.
I usually don't have a tendency to post bad information .. -- when it can be avoided

EDIT: just a side note --
If you are using this router for anything other than a WAP or some type repeater you probably should go with a Shibby tomato build.
As a main gateway this router w/its 300 MHz processor is not going to do high speed (50+) across the WAN running a K3x build...and no I haven't tested it (lately) as anything but as a Rep[eater Bridge. Is it the best RB... No, but it aint too shabby. It hasn't dropped. I just moved GB+ from phone across it without a problem ....different configurations may be better -- may not.
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ecc29 wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
Asus RT-N12 D1

Are you sure K3.x is working now? Because in March dechronic still said that K3.x drivers are not stable with RT-12N D1, and a lot of people reported problems when they tried to install K3.x

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/03-30-2017-r31791/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-31791_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

Is not working properly for me still the problem that i cannot get to the interface with a normal lan unless doing reset everytime i start it.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andy84 wrote:
ecc29 wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
Asus RT-N12 D1

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/03-30-2017-r31791/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-31791_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

Is not working properly for me still the problem that i cannot get to the interface with a normal lan unless doing reset everytime i start it.

You didn't read my post very well.....
You cannot compare a non supported k26 with a k3.x build.

Also... if you make a Repeater or Repeater Bridge with the new K3.x build you must reboot after making all settings before the VAP connection works properly. This generally applies to most broadcom devices so that's nothing new.

And just so I was not clear in earlier post --
You Need To Reset The Router Before You Install k3.x!!!
Don't use an old backup to restore settings.
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
This does not work either:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/03-30-2017-r31791/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-31791_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

and the one i tried some days ago too not:

With this two i cannot even ping it only timeout.

where

http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-19-12-r18777/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-18777_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx

atleast gave me in rare cases the interface and internet.

And i usually don't use backups... i mostly use the restore utility to flash the router. (there is not much to backup anyways when dd-wrt did never run on this router properly.)
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andy,
Not sure why you are having trouble -- but could be:
This unit is like many other old broadcom boxes. It is sometimes hard
to get rid of old lingering settings after you put a K3.x build on it.
A CL 'nvram erase' will not clear old stuff from its k26 days .. actually it sometimes won't
even clear the password but does clear some things.
A factory reset from the GUI seems to do best after you have installed a K3.x build.
Or use the reset button a few time ---- but a 30/30/30 will just put it in recover mode.
You would have to power cycle it again. You might try that. If still not good then put it in
recovery mode and upload (using your browser) the new K3.x build again.
If you are switching k26 & k3.x around it will just be a tangled mess -- they have all together
different firmware layouts. Everything I mentioned, I have done -

I been playing with this some and can't find any problems -- all ports are fine.
Best speed across WAN just a bit over 47. I tagged 49 few times after overclock to 400...
(I really don't advise to do that ...there is no significant value in it on this router)

I'm going to confg this as a WAP and replace an atheros unit I've been running.
We'll see how it does over time.

Picture of back cover of this router is in .zip file in this post I did a while back -
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=993100#993100
Just wondering if yours shows same and not some other version????

EDIT: Was gonna check WAN speed w/k26 -- but just tried the K26 31825 .. That Is A Nightmare!!!
None of the ports would work and I tried hard Smile even installed it again thru recovery mode and it is NO good.
Put the 31825 K3.x back .. so gonna conf as a WAP and be on my merry --

EDIT:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1074472#1074472

Last edited by mrjcd on Sat Apr 08, 2017 14:18; edited 1 time in total
Andy84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have installed the K3 two times.

The first time i just installed it with the rescue util.

The second time i thought about residues.
I installed a bad working k26 then i did in ssh a nvram clean and used the upgrade option in the interface with reset settings to factory settings...

My idea is that there might be a difference in the router its self means your router might have a difference in the chip set which makes yours working while mine is not. I think yours is an older model, maybe the new models are not supported.

Again the new builds and the old did all not work it is not a new issue that the router is dead after installing and i am not the only one to whom this happens...
ferbulous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, so I'm running tomato shibby on my n12 d1 now.
I'd like to try flashing ddwrt on my router (purchased last year) but I'm a bit hesitant to try after previous post mentioned that his router died after installing it.

I'd really like some confirmation here if recent may build is safe enough to install.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ferbulous wrote:
Hello, so I'm running tomato shibby on my n12 d1 now.
I'd like to try flashing ddwrt on my router (purchased last year) but I'm a bit hesitant to try after previous post mentioned that his router died after installing it.

I'd really like some confirmation here if recent may build is safe enough to install.

All you can do is try it ... i have already written about what I did but I'll pass on some other info --- one of the big mistakes people make is not allowing enough time when you flash one of these for first time using the broadcom miniserver I mentioned a few posts up.
Go get a drink and give it 5 minutes to fully boot --- then do a reset and give it another minute or so to fully boot before you try to access it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: