Cannot make sense of my install problem

gwbaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15    Post subject: Cannot make sense of my install problem Reply with quote
I eventually hope to use the paid version. After searching and searching I have not found a topic with my issue or help with it. Also, with some of the terse and inutile responses I have seen, I want to be sure I can get the help I need to get this working before opting for the paid version.

I have installed the dd-wrt_public_vga.image several times using a Linux mint boot usb drive connected to the laptop I am installing dd-wrt onto and dd-wrt boots just fine and begins to work. But, I have tried both the dd-wrt_full_vga.image and the dd-wrt_full_smp_vga.image and neither will boot once flashed to the internal SATA SSD.

I cannot figure out how to get a FULL version working. Any ideas???

Laptop Specs (that I am trying to boot dd-wrt with)
Samsung NP700Z5B-W01UB
Core i7-2675QM 2.2 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM - upped after purchase
AMD Radeon HD 6490M
Samsung SSD 840 EVO - Installed after purchase

Thanks!
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:36    Post subject: Booting DD-wrt Reply with quote
That is pretty much an overkill system. You can run it perfectly with a older Dual core Pentium system.

The way I load dd-wrt is by using this image here.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/11-01-2016-r30826/x86_64/

Use the VGA full image if you want to pay $20 to use it.

Or try using the public free version. The limitations are only 4096 ports filtering at once instead of 65335 ports being filtered. Also on the free version no wifi cards will be used.

What I do is use this tool in a windows computer.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/physdiskwrite-0.5.3-PhysGUI-bundle.zip

Make sure you select the drive your going to wipe out everything and install DD-WRT to. It can be any drive as long its 1GB or larger. The rest of the space will be ignored and not used. It will write the image. Then just restart the PC and boot the from the drive you installed DD-WRT to.

Now you do need two NIC cards and a 5 to 8 port switch to connect another pc to this laptop. Or use a ethernet crossover cable which a switch will not be needed in this case. But if using more than 1 computer with dd-wrt you should get a gigabit switch. I personally would not use a laptop to use dd-wrt with it since your limited on NIC card selections and amount of cards you can use. Realtek based cards are mostly supported and they can be bought on ebay for $13 each for gigabit ones.

So if you got a junk PC laying around. I highly recommend 2GB to 4GB and a dual core cpu. Even though any 64bit capable CPU will work from Pentium 4 that goes into a socket 775 will have 64bit support and same goes for AMD 64bit based pc's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: