Netgear r8500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
riedling
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed. I like the 3 radios, and its been great. I just want the VPN client since I live in the US.

Also willing to donate, up to $50 to the cause to get this resolved.
Sponsor
ereichley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
well this sucks....anything I can do to help since I got this Vietnam unit? What is needed to get DD-WRT working on them?

I dont use my unit fulltime at this point. So I am willing to send it somewhere if I can be assured of getting it back. I can cover shipping both directions.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
gogoroute wrote:
The MP2 version of R8500 does not work with Kong's build.

It does work, but direct flashing from netgear fw is currently disabled since the only tester I had notified me, that his unit died. As far as I can tell it was no firmware issue, but I won't publish it until it is 100% safe and since I have no unit I cannot confirm that.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am more than willing to try. I tried a few different methods tftp GUI as well as tftp via command line.

I must be doing something wrong. If you could point me to the process (I did read the wiki) I will attempt to flash it and let you know what happens.
kammerma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy to try as well ... of course at own risk Smile
ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Watching this issue. I upgraded from an old R4500 to the 8500, so am excited to see full DD-WRT support. Kong's the best.
WJames
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be careful. MP2 versions are not limited to Vietnam. I just ordered a R8500 router from Best Buy. When I picked it up, I noticed that it was manufactured in Vietnam. I immediately asked the clerk if I could swap it for one made in China. I thought I was very fortunate that a Chinese version was in stock. However, when I installed DD-Wrt, I knew that something was wrong. The radios kept going down and eventually I could no longer access the router. At this point, I happened to look closer at the label. Lo and behold, MP2! Sad

I now have a brick...
WJames
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
WJames wrote:
Be careful. MP2 versions are not limited to Vietnam. I just ordered a R8500 router from Best Buy. When I picked it up, I noticed that it was manufactured in Vietnam. I immediately asked the clerk if I could swap it for one made in China. I thought I was very fortunate that a Chinese version was in stock. However, when I installed DD-Wrt, I knew that something was wrong. The radios kept going down and eventually I could no longer access the router. At this point, I happened to look closer at the label. Lo and behold, MP2! Sad

I now have a brick...

My problem wasn't specifically related having a revised model. It turned out to be a hardware issue. If unplugged for a period of time, I could then power up the router and immediately connect. However, after a few minutes, the radios would drop and the router would restart. With a replacement R8500, DD-Wrt works great! Thanks, Kong!
ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong, are you ready to start releasing the R8500 code for all models? I've gone through three of these routers under warranty. And I've come to believe that it's the Netgear firmware causing my issues.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
ere109 wrote:
Kong, are you ready to start releasing the R8500 code for all models? I've gone through three of these routers under warranty. And I've come to believe that it's the Netgear firmware causing my issues.

They are all supported now I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
watching
mwnn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like this particular model's reliability falls firmly into the utterly crap category Laughing

What a shame; on paper the specs look like a good step up from an N class router.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROKEN-BRICKED-NETGEAR-R8500-100UKS-Nighthawk-X8-AC5300-/263096612763?hash=item3d41c7b79b:g:0AAAAOSw2alZb2xd

No way I'd offer £50 for a bricked router with no comeback especially after googling for "r8500 brick" and searching here.
Amazon reviews aren't exactly stellar either.

My gut says that attempting serial recovery would be a waste of time and why is the power adapter not included?
I suspect the hardware is damaged.

The ageing R7000 & slightly wonky R7800 look like better purchases by far.

You'd think NETGEAR would stress test these things in poor conditions for a few hundred hours at least.
A £350 router that dies on it's arse with a whimper, how embarrassing.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't do it. I bought 3. One was beyond repair. No matter what build I tried, dd-wr or netgear none of them fully work.
One wouldn't run anything. 2 of them only work with dd-wrt but not all bands.
On one the lower 5ghz band is missing, on the other the upper band 5ghz is missing.
I have the one with the missing lower 5ghz running kongs build and I use it as a dual band router.
All of them required serial flashing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Don't do it. I bought 3. One was beyond repair. No matter what build I tried, dd-wr or netgear none of them fully work.
One wouldn't run anything. 2 of them only work with dd-wrt but not all bands.
On one the lower 5ghz band is missing, on the other the upper band 5ghz is missing.
I have the one with the missing lower 5ghz running kongs build and I use it as a dual band router.
All of them required serial flashing.

I only hope you didn't pay a lot for them Malachi.

Well, unless you're an eccentric millionaire? Or perhaps some strange kind of router masochist? Twisted Evil

Don't worry I wouldn't touch the R8500 with an extremely long bargepole Wink
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I paid $100 for the first two combined and I think $50 for the third. No more.
Forgot to say, the reason they don't include the power supply is because they sell them separately.

Navigation

Jump to: