WDS with x86 DD-WRT as backbone? possible?

rbthompsonv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 13:04    Post subject: WDS with x86 DD-WRT as backbone? possible? Reply with quote
Cross posted from advanced networking as well...

Hey guys... just moved my main router from a WNDR4500 to a built x86 box... It is just the wired version (I removed the wifi card and opted for a PCIe ethernet card to have it function as a small, wired router)

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with setting up a WDS network and if it can be done with the first router/gateway as wired only, the other routers all connected with a physical cable to a switch connected to router 1.... sorry if that sounds convoluted...

I have cable modem to router1 (wired only) to a gigabit switch to 5 other wireless routers (all Netgear WNDR4500, all running DD-WRT)... is it possible to set up a WDS/Mesh network with this setup?
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:51    Post subject: Re: WDS with x86 DD-WRT as backbone? possible? Reply with quote
Yes if your system has more than 2GB ram and a 64bit processor you can do just that and use the x64 bit version of dd-wrt instead. What you can do is put DD-wrt in the WNDR4500 possibly and then configure your WNDR4500 as a switch and wireless Access point while the X86 or X64 dd-wrt controls the connections and assigning IP addresses while running a Mini DLNA server and a NAS service. That is pretty much what I did here. If your still interested just post back and I will help you set it all up. You can even put in hard drives on the computer running pure DD-WRT and have a nice NAS box on top of that too. I did this with a Dell Studio 540 with Duo core cpu E7500 and a Gigabit Realtek card. It has two 2TB drives and a 500GB right now as a NAS. I have 3 wireless Gigabit routers spread out the home for best coverage.

rbthompsonv wrote:
Cross posted from advanced networking as well...

Hey guys... just moved my main router from a WNDR4500 to a built x86 box... It is just the wired version (I removed the wifi card and opted for a PCIe ethernet card to have it function as a small, wired router)

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with setting up a WDS network and if it can be done with the first router/gateway as wired only, the other routers all connected with a physical cable to a switch connected to router 1.... sorry if that sounds convoluted...

I have cable modem to router1 (wired only) to a gigabit switch to 5 other wireless routers (all Netgear WNDR4500, all running DD-WRT)... is it possible to set up a WDS/Mesh network with this setup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: