Dd-WRT e1200v2 ethernet speed capped at 50Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Kovon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good Morning Everyone,

Just a further update:

I configured the OpenVPN Client on Shibby Tomato and got it to work but I only got up to 5.5Mbps download with the VPN running.

I tried to overclock the router to 333,166,83 as per jwh7 instructions but when I did a speed test it was less than before. So I set it back to its original 300,150,75. I concluded that it was my router.

As stated previously I cannot purchase a new router at the moment so I spent the weekend building a PC out of mostly old parts. I then installed pfsense and got it working although I had issues with the software detecting my PCI gigabit ethernet cards. I figured that was a driver issue and would deal with that later after configuring and testing the OpenVPN client. I tried to configure the OpenVPN CLient but I could not get it to work. I contacted my VPN Service provider for assistance on that.

Meanwhile I decided to try DD-WRT x86_64. I got that to work and I also got the OpenVPN client to work. So Yay.

So currently I have it running and I am getting up to 189Mbps download on a Gigabit ethernet port; up to 96Mpbs on a fast ethernet port; and 39-73Mbps when the OpenVPN client is running.

Now the PC router I have running is configured as follows:
Biostar G41D3 ver 6.1 motherboard with 1 onboard Fast Ethernet port
Core 2 Duo E8400 processor
2 GB Ram DDR3 memory
1 PCIe Gigabit ethernet card in PCIe x16 slot
2 x PCI Gigabit ethernet cards
1 80GB Sata HDD

The above specs are probably overkill for DD-WRT but these are the old parts I had at home.

I was able to get eth0 (WAN) to be set as my PCIe card and Eth1 to 3 as the other ports.

Everything is working so far but I noticed that in the Status Router Information Page my CPU temperature is between 270-310 °C. see the below pic.

I am thinking this temperature is too high but I would like to view the temperature in another software to verify that the high temperature being reported from dd-wrt is correct just in case x86_64 is misreporting the temperature like a bug or something. But when I connect a monitor and keyboard directly to the computer there is no options to run other software. Just information on what the router is doing etc.

Now I can boot to a live CD (I have Active@ Boot Disk) and check the temperature there but in that environment the CPU might be under less pressure and not doing the same level of processing as it is doing when it running DD-WRT x86_64 firmware. Hence whatever temperature I see there might not be indicative of whats going on when dd-wrt is running. I will still check though.

I am about to post this question in the x86 forum page but I figured I would update you guys and ask if anyone here knew:
1. how to verify that the temperature is correct when dd-wrt is running with some tool or test or something?
2. whether the temperature is too high and what appropriate temperatures I should be getting?
3. what may be causing it to be so high? and
4. what I could do to lower the temperature.

Thanks in advance.

Capture2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.23 KB
 Viewed:  1972 Time(s)

Capture2.PNG

Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kovon wrote:
I then installed pfsense and got it working although I had issues with the software detecting my PCI gigabit ethernet cards. I figured that was a driver issue and would deal with that later after configuring and testing the OpenVPN client.
Are those GbE cards realtek? If so, but also just in general, you should use OPNsense instead of pfSense.
Kovon wrote:
Everything is working so far but I noticed that in the Status Router Information Page my CPU temperature is between 270-310 °C.
I'm gonna guess that is reported wrong, since those temps melt solder and motherboard shutdown is normally around 80-90 degC. Smile What temps did pfSense report? Also, your PC BIOS should report temperatures; I'd guess 40-60 degC.

Or...turn the PC into a convection oven! Razz

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
1nitrox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Had the same issue with WAN bandwith limited to ~50 Mbps after flashing dd-wrt.v24-29519_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k which is recommended by the guide for e1200v2

I've tried flashing dd-wrt.v24-31899_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k which is mentioned earlier in this topic, and the result was fine with ~82 Mbps, however that build has several issues with GUI, for example I was not able to fix the vlan/bridging bug and to setup OpenVPN config.

Finally, I've successfully flashed my E1200v2 with the latest for today dd-wrt.v24-35927_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k and now I'm totally happy having WAN routing at ~82 Mbps and no config issues at the moment.

Thanks to everybody who've posted all the information in this topic!

BTW, is there any hope for having hardware NAT implemented in future DD-WRT builds? Is there any topic discussing some plans about that?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: