July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fault)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:10    Post subject: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fault) Reply with quote
The latest July 8th version of BS build bricked my WRT54GL. Fortunately I have four of them, so I was able to test it again on another one. The second one would not even accept the flash image. It did however accept the April 24 build. This is the first router I have not been able to un-brick since 2006! lol. It would not even ping at all so no tftp options and I didnt want to even fsck with JTAG. It is now residing in the 50 gallon trash can in my garage. It may have been entirely my fault however. After it refused to accept the STD build, I tried the Micro version by mistake, not the mini. Probably that is what bricked it. Doh! All the ethernet ports lights come on, and the power light just flashes rapidly. After about 6 hours of trying to save it, I unsolded the antenna connectors for future use, saved the antennas, and trashed the rest.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 14:53    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
The latest July 8th version of BS build bricked my WRT54GL.
No access via telnet to stop httpd? Did you try serial? You should check the "New Build" threads first. Smile mrjcd had issues w/ 2MB flash WRT's, but not otherwise.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
netrixtardis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 19:47    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
The latest July 8th version of BS build bricked my WRT54GL. Fortunately I have four of them, so I was able to test it again on another one. The second one would not even accept the flash image. It did however accept the April 24 build. This is the first router I have not been able to un-brick since 2006! lol. It would not even ping at all so no tftp options and I didnt want to even fsck with JTAG. It is now residing in the 50 gallon trash can in my garage. It may have been entirely my fault however. After it refused to accept the STD build, I tried the Micro version by mistake, not the mini. Probably that is what bricked it. Doh! All the ethernet ports lights come on, and the power light just flashes rapidly. After about 6 hours of trying to save it, I unsolded the antenna connectors for future use, saved the antennas, and trashed the rest.

Same thing happened to me on my WRT54GL v1.1. it is completely unrecoverable without JTAG. And considering the age of the device, it's not worth the cost of the materials and effort to JTAG the unit. I feel that DD-WRT has really gone down the drain with it's quality of releases. the never ending of "beta" so they cover the shit quality has finally pissed me off to get off this train. Considering I just need WAPs/Client bridge/WDS devices, I'm going to stick back to stock from now on.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
No access via telnet to stop httpd? Did you try serial? You should check the "New Build" threads first. Smile mrjcd had issues w/ 2MB flash WRT's, but not otherwise.

No access whatsoever. Not even ping-able. I did not try serial or JTAG. Was feeling lazy that day so I just trashed it. Besides, I didn't really need the unit, as I has just replaced it with a EA8500 running KONGs DDWRT release. I still have 3 other WRT54GLs and 1 shitty WRT54GSv6 that are on the shelf for future use.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
netrixtardis wrote:

Same thing happened to me on my WRT54GL v1.1. it is completely unrecoverable without JTAG. And considering the age of the device, it's not worth the cost of the materials and effort to JTAG the unit. I feel that DD-WRT has really gone down the drain with it's quality of releases. the never ending of "beta" so they cover the shit quality has finally pissed me off to get off this train. Considering I just need WAPs/Client bridge/WDS devices, I'm going to stick back to stock from now on.

Well, as I said, I am pretty sure it was the Micro version that trashed it. After all, I do not think the Micro version is intended to be used with the GL, only the GSv5-6 with 2Mb flash.
netrixtardis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
Well, as I said, I am pretty sure it was the Micro version that trashed it. After all, I do not think the Micro version is intended to be used with the GL, only the GSv5-6 with 2Mb flash.

I disagree. I have been using micro for quite some time on all my WRT54G/GL/GS. I did not need most of the features on that devices, so I opted for the most stripped down version.

The only reason I was going with DD-WRT is because Linksys/cisco/belkin had not been updating the firmware on those devices and I wanted to make sure I did not have a vulnerable device on my network. To be fair, I really should not been expecting indefinite support for this device - it's over 15 years since it's release.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
netrixtardis wrote:
lexridge wrote:

I disagree. I have been using micro for quite some time on all my WRT54G/GL/GS. I did not need most of the features on that devices, so I opted for the most stripped down version.

The only reason I was going with DD-WRT is because Linksys/cisco/belkin had not been updating the firmware on those devices and I wanted to make sure I did not have a vulnerable device on my network. To be fair, I really should not been expecting indefinite support for this device - it's over 15 years since it's release.

I must stand corrected then. I thought the micro version was only for the GSv5+ versions. It is amazing that these old routers are still being supported. It is even harder to believe the GLv1.1 is still be manufactured and sold after all these years.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 13:42    Post subject: Re: July 8 Build Bricked my WRT54GL (but probably my own fau Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
I must stand corrected then. I thought the micro version was only for the GSv5+ versions. It is amazing that these old routers are still being supported. It is even harder to believe the GLv1.1 is still be manufactured and sold after all these years.
And harder still to believe what they are still charging for them. Razz

Yes, from the wiki, GL can use micro. There are some 4+ MB routers that can't though.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
invisibletouch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey man it's been a few months and you probably got a new router but I suggest changing your ethernet adapter or wireless adapter ipv4 address to 192.168.1.9 and then trying to ping your router after disabling and re enabling your connection and then trying to ping it. just a suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: