High Temperature in x86_64

Kovon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 15:19    Post subject: High Temperature in x86_64 Reply with quote
Good Morning

I recently set up an old PC and installed DD-WRT x86_64 on it.

The PC router I have running is configured as follows:
Biostar G41D3 ver 6.1 motherboard with 1 onboard Fast Ethernet port
Core 2 Duo E8400 processor
2 GB Ram DDR3 memory
1 PCIe Gigabit ethernet card in PCIe x16 slot
2 x PCI Gigabit ethernet cards
1 80GB Sata HDD

Everything is working so far but I noticed that in the Status Router Information Page my CPU temperature is between 270-310 °C. see the below pic.

I am thinking this temperature is too high but I would like to view the temperature in another software to verify that the high temperature being reported from dd-wrt is correct just in case x86_64 is misreporting the temperature like a bug or something. But when I connect a monitor and keyboard directly to the computer there is no options to run other software. Just information on what the router is doing etc.

Now I can boot to a live CD (I have Active@ Boot Disk) and check the temperature there but in that environment the CPU might be under less pressure and not doing the same level of processing as it is doing when it running DD-WRT x86_64 firmware. Hence whatever temperature I see there might not be indicative of whats going on when dd-wrt is running. I will still check though.

Can anyone shed some light on the following:

1. IS there a way for me to verify whether the temperature is correct when dd-wrt is running with the use of some tool or test or something?
2. Is the temperature too high and if so, what appropriate temperatures should I be getting?
3. Any ideas on what may be causing the temp to be so high? and
4. what can I do to lower the temperature?

As a side note, I noticed the vlan tab is missing. Is this disabled on purpose in x86 or do I have to enable this tab myself?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 16:38    Post subject: Incorrect temp for sure. Reply with quote
If it was really that high the system would have powered itself down when it hits 95 to 100c which is just over 200F. The CPU FAN would be spinning super fast regardless of the bios settings trying to cool it down.

I think its just faulty software reading.. Which can report a crazy temp like that.

Also do not upgrade to the r32597 that just came out today. It boots but you can't access options at 192.168.1.1 which the WebGUI is broken in that release.

That last known good one was r32170. Good job using the x86_64 version since people do not know running the 32bit version would not be more than 2GB ram and I believe the 32bit one is limited to 1 core on the free version.

If you want to check the CPU temp. Put a copy of Windows XP on a spare HDD and run HWmonitor or run a linux live CD with hardware monitoring software to read temp. But as I said there is no way that the CPU is at 270c to 310c that system would have shutdown itself around 200F or 95 to 100C
Kovon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 17:12    Post subject: Re: Incorrect temp for sure. Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:
If it was really that high the system would have powered itself down when it hits 95 to 100c which is just over 200F. The CPU FAN would be spinning super fast regardless of the bios settings trying to cool it down.

I think its just faulty software reading.. Which can report a crazy temp like that.

Also do not upgrade to the r32597 that just came out today. It boots but you can't access options at 192.168.1.1 which the WebGUI is broken in that release.

That last known good one was r32170. Good job using the x86_64 version since people do not know running the 32bit version would not be more than 2GB ram and I believe the 32bit one is limited to 1 core on the free version.

If you want to check the CPU temp. Put a copy of Windows XP on a spare HDD and run HWmonitor or run a linux live CD with hardware monitoring software to read temp. But as I said there is no way that the CPU is at 270c to 310c that system would have shutdown itself around 200F or 95 to 100C

I had emailed BrainSlayer who indicated the same thing. jwh7 also said the same thing on another forum topic. Currenly waiting on some feedback from BRainSlayer.

I am currently running r32597 and I can log in to the WebGui. I think you are referring to r32737, which was released today.

The only thing I noticed about r32597 is sometimes when you make a change and apply settings a strange page comes up with the text not rendered properly with 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi in address field. You then have to delete the apply.cgi and hit enter and the webgui comes back up properly.

With respect to running Windows XP or Linux Live CD, are you indicating that either of those 2 products, would provide a monitor in real time while DD-WRT is running? I want something I can run simultaneously with the DD-WRT, so I can see what temperatures are present when the router firmware is running.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah your right the r32737 was released today but that had a broken WebGUI. It looks like he removed it a couple hours ago. The r32597 was on July 8th which is what works for me. I got thrown off because it was quickly removed when I was responding to the message.

As for running Linux live distro would be to use a CPU monitor while the pc is under full load to see the real CPU temp.

Windows XP would work to stress the CPU by using Prime95 and running HWmonitor to see the real temp while the CPU is operating 100% usage.

I can tell you now not to worry on what DD-Wrt is reporting since if it was really running 300c the system would have powered off from the CPU thermal protection kicking in around 95 to 100c regardless on any bios settings. The real actual temp of a 8400 under stress would be around 63 to 70c tops. While doing nothing and speedstep enabled it would be hovering around 40c or less.
Kovon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for explaining the temps.

I will look into the Linux live distro.

XP would be too much work right now to install and set up. Booting to a live CD sounds more convenient.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 16:20    Post subject: Newer version out r32753 Reply with quote
You can download the build that was released today. Which has a working WebGUI in this build.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/07-19-2017-r32753/x86_64/dd-wrt_x64_public_vga.image if you want to start from scratch or
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/07-19-2017-r32753/x86_64/dd-wrt_x64-webupgrade_public_vga.bin to update using the WebGUI.

As for a live CD of Linux I recommend linux mint 64bit and use Rufus if using a windows PC to create a bootable USB stick not sure what the Linux similar program is called but that is what google.com is for. I know you need at least 4GB USB stick or better. I know it will boot much faster than using DVD media.
Kovon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks

I will check them out
constharper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for info. I have the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: