Bricked r7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 18:49    Post subject: Bricked r7000 Reply with quote
If someone had bricked their r7000, would they try to ping it by having their computer hooked up to the LAN port or wan port.
I need a serious answer to prove a point to someone who doesn't believe me.
So it would help to see answers.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes this should be the first thing you try.

Depending on how "bricked" the router is you may still get ping responses from the router. In most cases these will be pings with the TTL response of 100, this is usually the bootloader (CFE) responding, such responses means the CFE is at least providing some form of environment to work in for potentially recovery.

Usually recovery via TFTP is possible when seeing TTL=100 responses as the router is essentially loading a basic recovery environment waiting for firmware to flash. It is at this point you usually TFTP stock firmware as in this environment, its often the only valid firmware accepted.

If your less lucky you'll get no ping responses at all which means serial recovery is your next step. Fortunately the R7000 has a well documented recovery procedure via serial. In addition most R7000 units already have the serial header soldered onto the board, so you just need the correct USB-TTL 3.3 V adapter cable to hook up to it.

It is quite difficult to actually brick the R7000 beyond recovery, probably short of killing your CFE will render it unrecoverable or if the hardware itself has gone bad.

As a owner of a R7000 and someone who has also hooked up to its serial console, I hope that provides evidence of such a procedure being valid!

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I mean the other person insist hat I'm doing it wrong by having my computer plugged into the lan port.
He says the right was is though the wan port.

Obviously I know the correct way.

Last edited by Malachi on Mon Jul 17, 2017 20:02; edited 1 time in total
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No, I mean the other person insist hat I'm doing it wrong by having my computer plugged into the lan port.
He says the right was is though the wan port.

Obviously I know the correct way.

Sorry. I interpreted the original question as someone challenging the theory of pinging the router itself regardless of LAN/WAN. I'm fully aware you know the procedure, it was for the benefit of whoever is asking challenging the question to provide further reasoning for why to do it.

Yes its the 1-4 LAN ports when pinging always.

Here's a fun game for the other person to play:

1. Try the WAN port and ping 100% you won't get any reply
2. Try 1-4 of the LAN ports you'll likely get a response even if its brief.

Jokes aside, always try LAN ports when attempting recovery without serial. Its the only way you'll get a connection to the router to flash the firmware in a "semi bricked" state.

You can make the WAN port behave like a LAN port when you have working firmware but in a basic recovery environment is only going to be the LAN ports accepting connections in such a way.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
He says the right way is though the wan port.
Try explaining to them the point of a firewall to be in Stealth (no-reply) mode. Like here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing)#Application-layer
    Application-layer firewalls work on the application level of the TCP/IP stack (i.e., all browser traffic, or all telnet or FTP traffic), and may intercept all packets traveling to or from an application. They block other packets (usually dropping them without acknowledgment to the sender).

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget it. He isn't listening.
He listed the router on eBay as having bricked it while installing tomato but hat the router as still responding to pings.
I get it and there is no ping response at all. Also he had taken the rubber feet off and opened up the case to try to fix it but never disclosed that.
I would not have bought it if the were no ping responses. I offered to split the cost evenly (I paid $32) since the listing stated that it was responding to pings.
On top of that he sent the wrong power adapter.
He thinks I messed it up by hook get my serial set up to it. Like it's the first time. Lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can start a claim to request a return/refund through Ebay saying it was not as advertised. Clarify it in the claim notes and pics if you can. Ebay will issue a printable prepaid return label.

I had to do this a few times during my 20 years on Ebay and never had a problem with it. If I supply enough documentation/pics with the claim and the seller refuses then Ebay will issue the refund themselves.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know. I already did that. I have to wait till the 20th to escalate.
I was trying to be nice, that's I asked for $16 refund. I figured I got 3 antenna for $16 but he says I'm trying to rip him off.

Navigation

Jump to: