ASUS AC5300 Dropping Connections and Interfaces!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
coogle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 18:49    Post subject: ASUS AC5300 Dropping Connections and Interfaces! Reply with quote
Hello,

I recently purchased an ASUS AC5300 and flashed it with DD-WRT. Specifically at the moment I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17). Unfortunately I'm having two major problems and I"m hoping someone can help me figure them out.

The biggest problem I'm having is I keep dropping clients. Specifically I am dropping one very important client. In my home network I presently have a server that runs DHCP and DNS that connects to the network via USB Dongle. I've already ordered a new switch to hard-wire this machine to the network, but what's basically happening as far as I can tell is the machine is dropping the 2.4ghz connection and when it loses the network it is basically bringing the rest of the network down as well since DHCP and DNS go down. Hence, the "proper" solution is to hard wire -- but I'm still concerned about dropping clients. I suppose it's possible that the problem is on the client side with this one critical machine, and all my other network problems with other clients are related to that... but has anyone else experienced this problem with dropping clients? The old router was another ASUS running an older version of DD-WRT and I had no problems like this for years.

The second, and more clearly obvious DD-WRT problem is the AC5300 has three wireless interfaces wl0, wl1, and wl2. I set these interfaces up to be 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and AC. In the couple of weeks I've had this system running AC hasn't worked at all.. I rarely even saw the SSID to connect to (and never could connect to it). Finally last night I boosted the TX power of it to 999 and it started working great!

This morning, the AC network interface (wl2) was no where to even be found in my UI. It's like the device only has two interfaces. I hope I didn't incorrectly assume that DD-WRT or the hardware wouldn't let me burn out my antenna or something stupid by giving it too high of a transmission value... I'm hoping what's going on here is for some reason this interface is inconsistenly detected by DD-WRT in general, and that's why I only intermediately saw that SSID in the first place.

Please help!

John
Sponsor
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 19:53    Post subject: Re: ASUS AC5300 Dropping Connections and Interfaces! Reply with quote
coogle wrote:
Hello,
The second, and more clearly obvious DD-WRT problem is the AC5300 has three wireless interfaces wl0, wl1, and wl2. I set these interfaces up to be 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and AC. In the couple of weeks I've had this system running AC hasn't worked at all.. I rarely even saw the SSID to connect to (and never could connect to it). Finally last night I boosted the TX power of it to 999 and it started working great!

What if you only use one wl interface for all 3 modes?
What if you put your mobile device next to the router?

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
zerophase
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running the stock version of DD WRT, and have some issues as well. The 2.5ghz band is fine, but on 5ghz only one of the 2 interfaces show up. In the past I've seen the second 5ghz interface recognized on my devices, (about 20 feet away) but it's too weak to connect. Other than that dd wrt performs better than the asus firmware. There are some other minor issues like the device light off toggle not working.
coogle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I managed to correct a number of the weird issues I was having by starting from scratch. I had originally backed up / restored my DD_WRT config (from an old build when I upgraded) and I think that caused a lot of problems. Once I did a factory reset and reconfigured the interfaces stuck around and things seem to be a little less unstable in general. Although that 2.4ghz client is still having a hard time staying connected to the network!

I also upgraded to the very latest kong build: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (09/15/17)

However, I am still having problems with the AC band. Currently I have:

wl0 - 2.4ghz
wl1 - AC/N mixed
wl2 - AC only

I can connect and use wl0 and wl1 just fine. But wl2 doesn't work. I don't see any SSID for that radio anymore and can't connect to it. (despite all of them having their SSID being broadcast).

Looking in status, I can see the radio is marked "on" as well. So at least it's showing up in the interface now -- just doesn't work Sad

Thoughts?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
coogle wrote:
So I managed to correct a number of the weird issues I was having by starting from scratch. I had originally backed up / restored my DD_WRT config (from an old build when I upgraded) and I think that caused a lot of problems. Once I did a factory reset and reconfigured the interfaces stuck around and things seem to be a little less unstable in general. Although that 2.4ghz client is still having a hard time staying connected to the network!

I also upgraded to the very latest kong build: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (09/15/17)

However, I am still having problems with the AC band. Currently I have:

wl0 - 2.4ghz
wl1 - AC/N mixed
wl2 - AC only

I can connect and use wl0 and wl1 just fine. But wl2 doesn't work. I don't see any SSID for that radio anymore and can't connect to it. (despite all of them having their SSID being broadcast).

Looking in status, I can see the radio is marked "on" as well. So at least it's showing up in the interface now -- just doesn't work Sad

Thoughts?

It seems to be quite common for these to lose a radio. If it's still under warranty get an rma.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you're saying the radio is dead? I've got to say I find this difficult to believe only because it seems to come and go..
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me the second radio is definitely still there. It's not transmitting strong enough for Linux to detect it, but when I boot into Windows the 2nd 5ghz radio shows up, withe the weakest possible signal. If I switch back to the Asus firmware that 2nd radio starts transmitting much stronger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: