R7000 not leasing ip addresses to clients - please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 17:15    Post subject: R7000 not leasing ip addresses to clients - please help! Reply with quote
Was having problems with a new kong build so I installed a brainslayer build today instead.

4 hours into the config and all was well until I applied all the saved settings and rebooted.

Now not a single client is receiving its ip address from the router. In fact one of the phones had this number in the ip address section 169.***.**.** & 255.255.0.0. What is this please?

All clients work if I add statics to them. I have all clients set with specific ip addresses in services, but they all fail to obtain an ip address when left in auto.

Please bail me out because I'm 6 hours in and sick as a pig!

I've just noticed that in the status tab the time is shown as not available! Yet have an NTP server setup in the Setup tab!

Thanks,
Darren.

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you can do is the following:

Download kongs latest build at:http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
For the R7000 you have to download the dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin

After that telnet/putty into your router and:
Code:
erase nvram
reboot

After that everything should work as advertised
Put your settings in manually and do not restore from a backup

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying.

I came from the latest Kong build that was dropping the wireless connection. I moved to BS specifically because I didn't want to be going around in circles with a 4 hour config over and over again. As it stands this BS fw is faster by a mile. The only thing I haven't got is the ability to leave all the clients pick up their own leases. Therefore, as well as setting all the client ip's in services in the router, I'll have to set all 25 clients up with manual ip's in the devices themselves.

I'm currently going blind. I thought someone might have an idea what might be wrong? Like have I accidentally clicked a setting. When the router gateway was set at default, the router was leasing the ip's fine. I usually change the gateway, because it clashes with the modem/router combo my ISP provides.

Any ideas?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
In what way is BS build faster?

How do you connect your router to the ISP modem?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The BS build I've installed just is faster than previous Kong builds, for me. It's not a criticism, more an observation. I've never seen 200 mbps before now, almost, but not quite. However, with this fw version I've seen 215 mbps wirelessly.

I'm connected via ethernet cable from router to modem. Like I say, prior to configuring, including changing the gateway address from default what I usually have it at, the router has stopped leasing ip's to clients. I think it may be a setting I've altered by accident, but you have to be savvy enough to know all the settings and what they should be to know which one is wrong?

Beyond that theory it could be down to the usual farts that occur between installing the fw, configuring, applying and rebooting. Truth is I haven't got all week to keep starting the entire process over and over again. hence why I came for help.

Thanks

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm R7000 is a great unit especially with Kong builds on it...
back in the days R7000 was my front line router and was able to handle 40+ clients wired and WiFi, i ve never had 25 static IP added not more than 15 i guess...ware static in my set up...
so do you use DCHP and DNSmasq as i did ??
back in the days i've also seen 200MBit, even more up to 350+ with Kong builds...
how full is your NVram ??? it smell like a bad settings or you are running special scripts or problem with additions DNSmasq options if so...
is your modem in bridge mode? if your modem is set to DHCP mode it will cause a mess (double NAT)
please provide more details and some pic of your Basic Setup and Services set up settings..
if i ware you i would ve set my modem to bridge mode, than reset router and try another build and manually set all the settings, loading saved settings from different builds can be dodge...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
When looking at the front screen on the GUI after reboot I see it states "DHCP enabled - Stopped".

I suppose this isn't a surprise given the symptoms?

I'll post more details tomorrow.

Thanks

Last edited by Darren_M on Sat Sep 23, 2017 22:09; edited 1 time in total
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to dig myself out of this issue.

The reason the DHCP server was 'Stopped' was because of one of the 25 clients in the services tab.

r8:d0:ac:99:57:11 ChloesPS3WLAN 192.168.2.208

This console was boxed up and put in the loft years ago. I was only adding it out of habit. It's now obviously been removed for good.

I still have no idea why it was stopping the DHCP process?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
it could be a malware/virus or Avast or any program that forces DHCP to give address out if the specified range...
I had an a case with PC running Avast and Avast was forcing this PC to get a strange address and then once connected not even single client was able to connect to the AP...
Solution was to give this PC static IP so no more odd IP's around...
otherwise try erase nvram and manual rebuild or check if you run any strange scripts or anything related to DHCP...
do not load settings from file from a different builds... Check all DHCP clients for udp/tcp spam like smart TV, IP cameras or so...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Darren_M
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is the lease I gave the client by setting it in services.

It's that entry that stopped the DHCP process and therefore no ip addresses were being issue by the router to any of the clients. Until I removed that entry, that is, see? But I don't see what's wrong with that entry, it's existed in other fw versions (Kong) build on my network before without issue, so I don't get it!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darren_M wrote:
That is the lease I gave the client by setting it in services.

It's that entry that stopped the DHCP process and therefore no ip addresses were being issue by the router to any of the clients. Until I removed that entry, that is, see? But I don't see what's wrong with that entry, it's existed in other fw versions (Kong) build on my network before without issue, so I don't get it!
might be because
r8:d0:ac:99:57:11
is certainly not a valid MAC address ...prolly caused DNSMasq to jump the fence Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: