I am having trouble understanding version designations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MeghansUncle2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 19:17    Post subject: I am having trouble understanding version designations Reply with quote
I have a Trendnet TEW-828DRU router.

Reading through threads I understand that someone has success with: "Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31277 std (02/07/17) works fine."

I have read through all of the recommended reading.

My question is this: What is V24 that I've read about? How does it compare to the bin above that I have read is working for another person with the same router that I am going to use?

The features for V24 sound really cool, I am really confused as to how it fits into this mass of bins.

Thanks in advance for any clarification provided.

Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine. - Bob Carter
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 19:53    Post subject: Re: I am having trouble understanding version designations Reply with quote
MeghansUncle2 wrote:
My question is this: What is V24 that I've read about? How does it compare to the bin above that I have read is working for another person with the same router that I am going to use?
"V24" was just shorthand for the old "V2.4" of DD-WRT, which arbitrarily changed to "V3.0" last year or something; you'd see this when logging in to a console. The filenames which indicate DD version still use the v24 though. :-/

Anyway, it is irrelevant; the important part is the build revision which represents the SVN commit. It is much more important to track New Build threads for your model/version (or those w/ the same SoC and WL#) to indicate stability.

Also, don't confuse those DD versions with k2.4 and k3x references which refer to the Linux kernel version in the DD firmware.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
MeghansUncle2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks so much. This makes perfect sense now.

I've been a developer for 3 decades. I prefer to understand what I'm doing first, then make mistakes. Very Happy

Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine. - Bob Carter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: