Repeater Bridge: Wifi on same band not working RT-N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Helba
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:08    Post subject: Repeater Bridge: Wifi on same band not working RT-N66U Reply with quote
Main Details:
Main router: NightHawk x4s with 2.4 network and 5 ghz network
Main router firmware: Stock V1.0.2.36
Repeater router: RT-N66u with 2.4 disabled and 5 ghz set as repeater bridge and 5ghz virtual interface
Repeater Router Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29134 mega (02/19/16)
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-19-2016-r29134/broadcom_K3X/
Repeater router bands: I have the 5ghz set as N only since I'm pretty sure RT n66u is not ac (just N like in the name)

Problem:
I've set up things for the router to have 2.4 disabled and 5ghz enabled and set as the repeater bridge. I've configured IP as 10.0.0.1 from my main nighthawk router and 10.0.0.100 for my RT-n66u. Connecting via ethernet to my RT, I have internet access. However, when I try to add a virtual interface with a different SSID to have wifi on the same 5ghz, it shows up on my devices but doesn't connect, with (1) no encryption, (2) same encryption type and password as the main router, or (3) same encryption type and different password. What's weird is that if I set the 2.4 ghz as access point, I can connect fine to that. And if switch it with 2.4 as the repeater bridge, I can configured 5 ghz to work as an access point and connect other devices. But if I try to set up a virtual interface for 2.4, it also doesn't work no matter the encryption.

Any ideas what this could be?
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge: Wifi on same band not working RT-N66U Reply with quote
Helba wrote:
Repeater router bands: I have the 5ghz set as N only
Try NG-Mixed mode. I assume you've gone thru the wiki for Repeater Bridge? Otherwise mrjcd can prob help for repeater stuff.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why set it up like that? Use the 2.4 band to bridge the two routers then use the 5ghz on the rt-n66u as an ap.
It's what I do.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 66u only has one 5ghz radio. To do what you are trying you need a rounder with two; one to connect to the Nighthawk as the bridge and one to rebroadcast the signal as a wifi network.

On the 66u, you can either set up the 5ghz radio as the repeater bridge and set up the 2.4ghz radio as the access point, or set up the 2.4ghz radio as the bridge and use the 5ghz as the ap. You can't use the same radio for both.
Helba
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20    Post subject: Sovled! Reply with quote
@jwh7 - That worked! I figured since my router was only originally made for N I would set it to N. But setting it to just regular "mixed" (not NA mixed), it is working. Thanks!!!

@Malachi - I would do that, but I still want 2.4 usable in the house (I have another person in the house to use that one and IoT devices). My speed is about 60 from ISP. My understanding 2.4 is max of 54, and it'll be sliced in half (kind of) by going through a repeater. But if I keep it all on 5 ghz, I should be able to keep it around the 60 since it can handle the double bandwidth. My testings are showing that way too.

@paravox - It does only have one 5ghz antenna, but I figured I could still make it repeat. It probably is having to go back and forth on it. The stock firmware also had the repeater setting on the firmware, but it wasn't working correctly for me. (probably a subnet issue in hindsight).
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can still use the 2.4ghz. That's what I do with an rt-ac66u.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

So you would choose half speed connection? why?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
Malachi wrote:

So you would choose half speed connection? why?

I use the 5ghz to bridge to the 5ghz of my main router on the lower floor. Then upstairs I have a pc wired into the bridged rt-66u. I then set the 2.4ghz up for old G speed devices, such as the Nintendo ds, psp etc.

Navigation

Jump to: