run x86 build off flash drive?

mercury187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 18:41    Post subject: run x86 build off flash drive? Reply with quote
Hello, I used an asus router to run an openvpn server and i can successfully connect from a pc so I know it is working. What I would like to do is run the dd-wrt x86 software on a PC so I can use it as a remote openvpn client that will auto connect and then I would connect the pc to a switch and give clients access to the openvpn server network.

Is it possible to run dd-wrt x86 from a usb flash drive? I found the downloads here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-17-2017-r33525/x86/

But I'm not sure which one I would use or even how to install them to a flash drive. Reason for the flash drive is I would like to keep the hard drive intact until I know everything works.

The pc has built in nic and then i installed a pci card with dual nic so 3 total.
Sponsor
32dave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running mine off of a 512 MB tf card no hard drive in the machine so yes you can run it off of a usb/flash card my set up is a Biostar g31m7 motherboard with a intel core2 6600 and 2 gigs of ram with a quad port Sun mgicrosystems nic with a cisco 8 port switch(four of which are used by my WHS2011) and two wireless access points runs great I am running version from July 7 2017 as policy based vpn doesn't work on the newer versions at least not using gui

As for install I use Hard disk low level format as you have to zero out the card if there is a problem, you can get that here hddguru.com/ and Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) to put the image on the card put it in the machine make sure it boots from card and thats it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: