TP-Link WDR-3600 loosing Internet access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 14:56    Post subject: TP-Link WDR-3600 loosing Internet access Reply with quote
Sorry, for the 'broad' description of the problem, it's hard to really describe this, I realize there are so many possibilities. Sad

The problem has happened more than once, most recently. I did upgrade the F/W to 33772 from 33555 a week ago, I don't know if that has made matters worse. Specifically, what appears to be happening is it starts out with high latency, or lack of responding to clicking on links withing web pages. It sits for second, then responds. It gets worse until I loose the Internet altogether forcing a Modem reboot (which appears to be ok) and a Router reboot. I'm not sure it's a Modem or Spectrum problem (believe it or not). I already have changed out the Modem a couple of weeks ago for another problem which doing so corrected.

Now, I'm running a backup Router (Asus RT-N12 D1) which pales compared to the 3600. The dropping the connection hasn't happened yet, but it's too early to tell.

This problem is made worse by the lame and inaccurate indicator LED's on this Zoom 5341 Modem. They can all show ok including the "Online" (which is poorly named), but I don't have Internet access. RF levels are ok, both up & downstream, S/N ratios are also.
I really know that access is lost when one or both 'line' LED's on my OBi202 ATA go dark.

It just seems that something is 'knocking' me 'Offline' The last two times I was just jumping around within & between web sites and forums. Surely nothing 'taxing'. I eventually get 'Could not connect' (mostly timeouts) or similar messages when I go to navigate.

I have other than updating the F/W, I have even reset the Router to defaults (until next time it seems). I looked at the Router log (which took some navigating around to get it enabled), but it didn't seem to show anything meaningful.
Sponsor
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
To make matters worse (to troubleshoot) I can do a download 'binge' for an hour or more, maxing out my Internet connection (60M down 5M up) with 10-15 separate downloads and there isn't a glitch (when one would figure that would kill things).
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 0:56    Post subject: Internet Connection Reply with quote
What is the setup of your WDR3600? AP, I am guessing.

Make sure the modem is in Bridge mode, just call the ISP and get them to verify that.

If a reboot solves the problem you can schedule the WDR3600 to reboot say every night at 2am in the morning or something (Admin - then Keep Alive tab). Make sure you have an ntp server listed at the bottom of the Setup - Basic Setup page though.

This is only a stop-gap measure it does not actually solve the rebooting router problem.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gateway Router.

"Bridge mode" for the Modem or Router?? I never heard of a Modem having any choice. (I did call, and was told there is no Bridge Mode for a Modem, though he did ask if I was using their eMTA which I'm not)

Of the three times, only the 1st time the Modem went into a re-boot. The next two times, when connectivity was dropped, the Modem did not reboot by itself.

I'm going to flash back to a older dd-wrt F/W and see what happens (or hopefully what doesn't happen).
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 14:42    Post subject: Bridge mode Reply with quote
The modem must be in Bridge mode. The modem does not do any NAT, just the router.

What is your connection type? Automatic DHCP (Cable ISP), PPPoE (DSL), etc.

I would not downgrade. This is not a problem for anyone else on any of the recent builds, just you. Which means it is a setting issue, not a dd-wrt build issue.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
The modem must be in Bridge mode

Quote:
I did call, and was told there is no Bridge Mode for a Modem
If there is, they don't have a handle on that since it isn't their equipment (possibly why he asked what I was using).
Quote:
This is not a problem for anyone else on any of the recent builds, just you.
What settings? Other than limiting the LAN address range, I generally don't make changes.
With all respect, just because it isn't posted here doesn't mean someone else doesn't have a problem. There are too many variables, ISP, Modem model, how used, sites visited, other devices connected. Chances are, no one has the exact setup. Wink

Why do you say not to flash back? Most, if not all of this seems to be after I updated (twice now) in the past 2 or 3 weeks.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 16:49    Post subject: Sslog Reply with quote
Set up a syslog server, based on a computer. I use Visual Syslog Viewer. Then give the computer a static up. Go to the Admin tab and scroll down near the bottom enable the syslog daemon, put in the static ip for the computer.

Watch the output over a few days. You are looking for red stuff.

The websites you visit should not affect the router rebooting at all. Torrenting might because of the very high number of connections.

What did you set the DHCP limit to?

You can downgrade if you want, but I still believe it is not a dd-wrt issue, it is something else.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Make sure the modem is in Bridge mode, just call the ISP and get them to verify that.
I made another call to see if I get a different answer.

Since this is not THEIR Modem, he couldn't access whatever page that would show this.
But, after some more digging (on his screen) he did confirm that it is in Bridge Mode. He then stated since this is just a Modem, it can only be in "Bridge Mode" unlike a eMTA or combo Modem/Router.

Quote:
What did you set the DHCP limit to?
I assume you mean the LAN IP range? If so, .51 to .55 since there are only 2 dedicated wireless devices that use it and one is rarely used.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 17:47    Post subject: DHCP Reply with quote
Set the DHCP back to default dd-wrt (50 leases starting at .50). I would actually suggest resetting dd-wrt back to defaults (Admin, factory defaults page). Do not change anything this time and see if it still reboots.

You still have not told me your connection type? Automatic DHCP, PPPoE, 4G LTE, what?

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHCP, I thought I did mention it, sorry about that.

I was just going to ask you about doing a 30-30-30 hard reset. I have to confess, when I flashed twice in the past few weeks, I did not do that either time before or after the flash. Sad
I hate to ask, is that the problem or at least part of?
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to make this more interesting, it just happened again and it was when I was posting here at 12.58pm. No I'm not making this up. And I believe it was at least one of those other times.
I have noticed it more than once, many times there is a longer than usual delay for the response after I hit 'submit' here thou I have seen that behavior with many other sites.

The Modem did not reboot, nor did I have to. Same for the Asus Router. The 'dropped connection' only lasted a couple of minutes with the only indication of when posting (it may of been here) there was no response after I hit 'submit', I looked and the 'Online' LED on the Modem was dark & possible the 'Link' also.

I had my TraceRoute program running, the Router & Modems status page open also.
The Routers log showed nothing. The Modems 'EventLog' showed the usual error messages that I shows all the time, but the TracRoute showed the 1st 3 hops blank, no latency numbers, no IP or Hostname showing.

Quote:
SNMP Event Log
This page displays the contents of the SNMP event log. Time Priority Description
Mon Dec 11 12:03:11 2017 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=fc:4a:...
Mon Dec 11 12:03:11 2017 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=fc:4a:...
Mon Dec 11 12:02:47 2017 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Mon Dec 11 12:01:50 2017 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Mon Dec 11 11:57:21 2017 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=fc:4a:...
Mon Dec 11 11:57:21 2017 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=fc:4a:...
Mon Dec 11 11:56:53 2017 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Mon Dec 11 11:56:20 2017 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try to disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine.
It may on occasions hang the router when changing the configuration.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
This apparently is/was low band interference in the RG6 run from the basement to the 2nd floor Modem & Router. It was only 60% braided shield instead of 99%.
This apparently caused a issue between the Modem & the Router loosing the Internet connection. That run was replaced.

After a couple weeks of using the backup Router, then the 3600, with stock F/W first, then openwrt next, all seems good.
I haven't flash to dd-wrt yet, I'm looking over the troubled version threads first. (gun shy I guess Sad )
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:18    Post subject: DD-WRT Reply with quote
I am currently running 34311 on my WDR3600v1. It runs stable in my setup at least.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw you mention that in another thread.
I'm surprised none of the builds from December have been really mentioned. The latest just came out today.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: