USB/NAS Read/Write issue, not sure if it's 34929 related.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 15:07    Post subject: USB/NAS Read/Write issue, not sure if it's 34929 related. Reply with quote
Hi all, installed the 34929 rev on our TPKLink Archer C9 V1... this is the first DDWRT install on this Router. Everythings working great with it, however I'm having an issue setting up our NTFS HDD on the USB of the router. Because it's the first time using DDWRT with this router I dont know if this is related to this beta version or not.

I've got everything setup in the USB and NAS tabs, I see the drive and can access it on all the Windows PCs... but I can only READ, i can not Write anything. I confirmed that the setting in the NAS tab is set to Read/Write... I thought maybe the setting was backwards so I also switched it to just Read Only... but still no dice.

Anytime I try to move/delete/add/change anything in the drive I get a Windows error: YOU NEED PERMISSION TO PREFORM THIS ACTION

I installed the drive on my windows 10 pc and created an "Everyone" account under the Security > Users and granted full access. So while connected to Win10 it functions perfectly fine. I install it back on the USB NAS interface and I check the Security > Users... Everyone is listed, but we do NOT have Full Control, only "Special Permissions" is checked and grayed out. I try to give Everyone Full Control but I then get error: AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE APPLYING SECURITY INFORMATION TO" \\NASDRIVE\NAS
FAILED TO ENUMERATE OBJECTS IN THE CONTAINER. ACCESS IS DENIED

Anyone have any idea what is going on? In the router I tried removing the User and setting the share to Public... but it's still having this issue.

Thanks all!
Sponsor
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yo?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you give a screenshot of your NAS tab?
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im running Kong’s build 34800 on my R6300v2. I can write to FAT32 and NTFS just fine. Try an older build, could solve your issue. Make sure it doesnt brick your router by viewing the relvant build thread and reports for your router by other users.
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Here is what I have set in the NAS tab and the USB tab.

nolimitz wrote:
Im running Kong’s build 34800 on my R6300v2. I can write to FAT32 and NTFS just fine. Try an older build, could solve your issue. Make sure it doesnt brick your router by viewing the relvant build thread and reports for your router by other users.

I tried an older build, it's doing the same thing. I'm assuming this is a setting.

USB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.2 KB
 Viewed:  7673 Time(s)

USB.jpg

NAS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.63 KB
 Viewed:  7673 Time(s)

NAS.jpg

nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Integraoligist wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Here is what I have set in the NAS tab and the USB tab.

nolimitz wrote:

I tried an older build, it's doing the same thing. I'm assuming this is a setting.

My config has two differences to yours:
- I have kept server string and workgroup empty
- Your share name has a space character, i would avoid that. Try with the name NAS for example instead of NAS System.

You can also enable Proftpd and test.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have also with spaces and it works perfect. I'm pretty sure is not that. The only thing I can think of is that you drive has Windows in it and it's blocking ddwrt to writing into it, I'm seeing on sda2 "Windows boot loader" so that is making me suspect about it. Other than that settings wise everything is correct.
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with Xeon2k8. Brainstorming..did this have encryption enabled, connected to a Windows box? Oh; "YOU NEED PERMISSION..." is what I get trying to access the Win10 partition of my Linux dual-boot PC. Could be a not-full-shutdown (Win8-10 hibernates for normal 'shutdown'; hold Shift prior to and during shutdown), improperly 'ejected' drive, and/or you don't own or have R(/W) to the files. Boot in back in Windows and change permissions )and/or owner) to Everyone with full access. (right-drive the drive root, Properties->Security)
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
I agree with Xeon2k8. Brainstorming..did this have encryption enabled, connected to a Windows box? Oh; "YOU NEED PERMISSION..." is what I get trying to access the Win10 partition of my Linux dual-boot PC. Could be a not-full-shutdown (Win8-10 hibernates for normal 'shutdown'; hold Shift prior to and during shutdown), improperly 'ejected' drive, and/or you don't own or have R(/W) to the files. Boot in back in Windows and change permissions )and/or owner) to Everyone with full access. (right-drive the drive root, Properties->Security)

Put it back in the Windows machine. Properties> Security Group or User Names: removed all except for "Everyone" with Full Control.
Double checked files/folders inside the drive, everything is set to Everyone and no other users are available.

Preformed a Windows shutdown... then removed the drive.

Still getting the same message.

Then removed the contents of the Server String box and the Workgroup box... changed the Name to just "NAS", tried writing with and without a User name and password...

Nope, still getting the message.

If this is because of the Windows Boot Loader (Windows O/S was never installed on here, it just auto put this on there when I bought the drive, installed it into the Win10 machine and formatted it, then how would I go about formatting and removing the Windows Boot Loader if not from a Windows machine?

Thanks all!
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got home and checked the config. The USB tab is showing the same as you about the boot loader so it shouldn't be that. And I'm using it as public without any user but you said you tried that too. What version you said you tried of ddwrt? The older one.
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Just got home and checked the config. The USB tab is showing the same as you about the boot loader so it shouldn't be that. And I'm using it as public without any user but you said you tried that too. What version you said you tried of ddwrt? The older one.

The older version I tried was 34876
It did the same thing and the NTP didn't work either, so we upgraded to 34929 and NTP works but the USB still does not.

I removed everything from the NAS drive, used Data Lifeguard to erase the drive completely. Opened Disk Management in Windows, and it automatically makes you choose MBR or GPT for the drive. Have to use GPT (because MBR only handles 2TB)... it set it up and allocates the disk. I then move it to the USB connected unit on the router, and it shows all 3 /sda, /sda1, /sda2 exactly the same as before.

I pull it up in Windows Network and yep, read only again.

Only thing I could find was the Firmware version doesnt say BIG at the end of it, but these posts were for V2.4 of ddwrt
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its actually pretty simple. Dont over tinker.
Start from scratch. Compare across the devices your using whether its "workgroup" or "WORKGROUP", has made a difference with my network.
Turn off usb support,shutdown samba, delete your user, apply settings. restart the router. after restart enable usb core, auto mount, usb storage support. apply the settings wait for the drive to become visible. In the nas tab turn on samba and enter the workgroup name, in file sharing select the drive and give it a name, tick public and verify read/write in the dropdown. apply settings and you should be good. hooking the drive directly to your windows 10 machine has nothing to do with your router storage (setting permissions for the drive in windows 10 are exclusively for that windows instance, when you hooked it back onto your router linux set its own permissions)

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me workgroup never did a difference. Have you erased nvram? If you did then I would try some 31xxx or 30xxx version. The BIG naming was for super old routers.
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you have a usb flash drive around? format it as ntfs, and try. should work. if it doesnt, then try an older build as suggested earlier.
Integraoligist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
Its actually pretty simple. Dont over tinker.
Start from scratch. Compare across the devices your using whether its "workgroup" or "WORKGROUP", has made a difference with my network.
Turn off usb support,shutdown samba, delete your user, apply settings. restart the router. after restart enable usb core, auto mount, usb storage support. apply the settings wait for the drive to become visible. In the nas tab turn on samba and enter the workgroup name, in file sharing select the drive and give it a name, tick public and verify read/write in the dropdown. apply settings and you should be good. hooking the drive directly to your windows 10 machine has nothing to do with your router storage (setting permissions for the drive in windows 10 are exclusively for that windows instance, when you hooked it back onto your router linux set its own permissions)

Did this exactly as described... still getting the error.

Xeon2k8 wrote:
For me workgroup never did a difference. Have you erased nvram? If you did then I would try some 31xxx or 30xxx version. The BIG naming was for super old routers.

How do you do this in the router other then just doing a Factory Restore?

nolimitz wrote:
do you have a usb flash drive around? format it as ntfs, and try. should work. if it doesnt, then try an older build as suggested earlier.

So I went ahead and tried this... and YES it works fine. I tried it with both NTFS and FAT32 and both read/write with no issue. I also tested them on both USB ports and regardless they both work perfect.

How can that be any different then the 3TB drive?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: