Recommended firmware for Netgear WNR834Bv2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lagrangersf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:15    Post subject: Recommended firmware for Netgear WNR834Bv2 Reply with quote
Greetings. I have an old Netgear WNR834Bv2 router that I've been using for many years in Client Bridge mode. It is currently running build 19327 mini. Needless to say, I'm thinking it would be beneficial from a security and stability standpoint to upgrade to a build that's not older than Methuselah.

I was wondering if anyone else here could recommend a newer build to which I can upgrade this router that is stable and fully-functional. I've already tried upgrading to the most recent build, but even though the upgrade was successful, it killed the wifi in the process. I had to forcefully coerce it into tftp recovery mode so I could revert it back to 19327 and get wifi working again.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 13:26    Post subject: Re: Recommended firmware for Netgear WNR834Bv2 Reply with quote
lagrangersf wrote:
Greetings. I have an old Netgear WNR834Bv2 router that I've been using for many years in Client Bridge mode. It is currently running build 19327 mini. Needless to say, I'm thinking it would be beneficial from a security and stability standpoint to upgrade
Yes, as you've noticed, recent builds have had wireless issues. The krack fix for Broadcom is in since 33772, so you probably want to start around there as you're running a CB. I ran 34311 on a couple WRT54's for a while, after having issues w/ 33772.

Try this: Save your current config (build_19327_mini.nvram or whatever) in case you eventually revert to it (don't use the backup for newer builds), flash 34311, GUI reset, manually set up, and see how it does. If you have problems, try the next build (34411); no reset needed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The 35xxx builds seems to have had more wireless issues, but all post-krack builds have been questionable. Alternatively, you could scour the new build threads for k2.4-router reports, but there aren't many.

If all else fails, fall back to 27858 (Peacock recommended build), GUI reset, and try to collect your sanity. Let us know how it goes. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
lagrangersf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I was able to upgrade to build 34311, and so far it seems (mostly) good. Wifi is working perfectly fine. Only thing I've noticed is that automatic NTP time sync doesn't seem to be working, even though I have it configured correctly. However, this is an incredibly minor issue that doesn't really concern me, because I've already found a functional workaround by adding the command "ntpclient -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org" to the firewall startup commands.

I'll keep an eye on it long-term and see how it holds up from a stability standpoint (The ancient build I was using had been randomly rebooting, another reason I wanted to upgrade). Thanks for the help!
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
lagrangersf wrote:
Only thing I've noticed is that automatic NTP time sync doesn't seem to be working, even though I have it configured correctly. However, this is an incredibly minor issue that doesn't really concern me, because I've already found a functional workaround by adding the command "ntpclient -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org" to the firewall startup commands.
Ya, sorry I was going to mention that you check the new build threads, which talked about that. It (and other ntp issues) were around for several builds.
lagrangersf wrote:
(The ancient build I was using had been randomly rebooting, another reason I wanted to upgrade)
Curious if you still have problems; you should check the voltage regulator I/O caps on a router that old. From the FCC photos, looks like one 1 in and 3 smaller out. I've had to replace them on every router I've tested older than a WRT54GSv6 (~12), and none had any visible sign. Tested with an ESR meter. Some of them had reboot and/or radio dropping issues until they were replaced (a GSv1, GLv1.1, and WPN824v1). Now it's always the first thing I check. If you need caps, I've got about 90 left to sell cheap; I can mail them in a letter with a cardboard protector. Wink
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
BR07H3R
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had success running broadcom k24 and k3x builds from the date 03_05_18
on several different boxes
lagrangersf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick follow-up that the router has now been running for over two days continuously without any random reboots, whereas before it would typically reboot at least two or three times a day depending on load. So, it seems so far as though upgrading it to a much newer build definitely has helped the stability, in addition to providing the improved security.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: