Smoothwall to dd-wrt...

LordKoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:00    Post subject: Smoothwall to dd-wrt... Reply with quote
Well I made the switch today from smoothwall that I had installed on a hard drive to dd-wrt which is installed on a 1GB CF card (overkill I know).

The computer itself is a 2.4 ghz pentium 4. I have a 30 mbit cable connection and with smoothwall I'd even get up to 34 megabits with local sites. Now with dd-wrt I'm not getting anything above 25 mbits. What are your opinions? Am I just being crazy or is there some factors that would be slowing the throughput?
Sponsor
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm... with that computer even 100/100 connection should be easy as pie...

All I can think of is some bad NIC in the computer, but then it should be same with both smoothwall and dd-wrt... Well ofcourse you should look that your internet settings really are correct, wrong MTU-value can make weird things, usually it is 1500, but for example PPPoE requires it to be 1492 or so...

can't figure out anything else just now..
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
is 25mbps measured from WAN to Wireless or from WAN to ethernet ?

MTU size could be a reason ...
LordKoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
hebeda wrote:
is 25mbps measured from WAN to Wireless or from WAN to ethernet ?

MTU size could be a reason ...

Ethernet. I haven't really adjusted the MTU on my desktop. Is there some way to check/adjust it for the router itself?
LordKoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh here we go! This is more like it!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/278782178.png

Haven't changed anything.

By the way, is there a graph or something that shows the relation of x amount of cpu power to x amount of throughput?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LordKoob wrote:
By the way, is there a graph or something that shows the relation of x amount of cpu power to x amount of throughput?

Not really... You could still find some old test results somewhere deep in this forum, but main problem for such graph is that one would get very diffirent results from 500MHz P2 than 500MHz P3... Altough even those CPU speeds is more than enough for 100/100 internet and who knows how fast those will already route... Also memory speed affecs too... There are no single reference point that can be measured...
LordKoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the reason why I switched to a pc for my router was that my WRT54G with a cpu of 216 mhz couldn't give me any more than 12-15 megabits of throughput. I think it's safe to say though that the cpu in the router has very different architecture to a pentium cpu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: