soekris 5501 with emp-8602+2 continuously reboots

tzzhc4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:22    Post subject: soekris 5501 with emp-8602+2 continuously reboots Reply with quote
I installed v24-sp1 x86 full serial image on a CF card on my 5501 then booted, entered my activation code, then it rebooted again. At this point I logged into the web GUI and changed the password for my account. After that things go down hill, the web page just goes white then gives never refreshes and finally 20-30 seconds later the box reboots. Once the box is back up the new password does work but if I go back to the webpage it is again blank and then inaccessbile and then the box reboots again. There are no obvious messages on the console (see attached). I have the latest BIOS on the Soekris box. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
pham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 14:41    Post subject: something that helped me.... Reply with quote
if you have 2 minipci cards try removing one. This may not solve your problem, but it allowed mine to stop the reboot cycle. I have a wrap.2e with 2 ubiquiti atheros cards. system wouldn't fully boot until Iremoved one of the cards.
tzzhc4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 22:05    Post subject: only one card Reply with quote
I only have the one card in the net5501. The box actually fully boots and as long as I don't try to go into the GUI it will not reboot.

Is there some other log or something I can check or a test anyone recommends?
tzzhc4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 18:52    Post subject: Took card out and tried other net5501 I have, same problem Reply with quote
I tried a differnt card and another net5501 and I have the same problem. It actually even does this with the wireless card out.

Does anyone else run dd-wrt with a Soekris net5501?
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have a similar problem. After changing the password on the first boot, the web interface no longer works and when trying to access it the httpd-daemon crashes. Seconds later the router reboots.

I definitely think this is a bug in v24sp1 as v24(final) worked fine.

I've tried numerous things to find a fix. For example using the httpd-deamon from v24(final) in sp1 and also messing around in nvram. Unfortunately the only solid solution i came up with is not to use the web interface, but it's not really easy configuring the router through telnet/ssh...

My setup is an old nforce3 motherboard, athlon64 cpu,AR5212 based wireless card, RTL-8169 based network cards.

Edit: checking the logs, this is the message i get when httpd crash:

httpd[1261]: segfault at 00003042 eip b7ef9d12 esp bfcf77ac error 4

Last edited by xaim00 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28; edited 2 times in total
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
then use the final not the esp1
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
then use the final not the esp1

I would, but on v24(final) i had occasional timeouts on the wireless interface. On sp1 it's much more stable.
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good news! I have finally found a simple way to fix this problem.

By studying httpd.c on dd-wrt svn i came across this code snippet:

Code:

if (endswith (file, "changepass.asp"))
{
   if (nvram_invmatch ("status_auth", "0"))
      file = "Info.htm";
   else
      file = "index.asp";
}

As it turns out, when changing the password on the first boot (forced change), the nvram variable status_auth doesn't get set to "0" as it should. So to fix this problem simply set it to "0" manually.

Edit: After further research i don't think this variable is the real culprit. I think it only controlls weather the info page should be available or not. It's possible that some code on the info page crashes the http-deamon, and disabling it cures the problem.

On a new install before accessing the web interface, login using telnet and do the following commands.

Code:

setuserpasswd root yournewpassword
nvram set status_auth="0"
nvram commit

Let me know if it works for you Smile
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've found another simple solution that doesn't disable the info page.

By setting the nvram varible probe_blacklist to "eth1 eth2 eth3", everyting works perfectly for me.

Here is what i did:

1. Clearing the nvram (write zeros to partition3)
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/discs/disc0/part3
reboot

2. Setting the probe_blacklist variable
Code:

nvram set probe_blacklist="eth1 eth2 eth3"
nvram commit

3. Use the web interface and do the forced password change.

4. Add step 2 to a startup script, because probe_blacklist gets unset on every reboot.

I'm not to sure why probe_blacklist should be set to "eth1 eth2 eth3", my setup also have eth0, eth4, eth5. It's possible you need to add other interfaces. (Edit1: i tried adding all my wired interfaces to probe_blacklist and it still works fine).

Edit2: This fix seem to work perfectly, no craches as of yet. probe_blacklist is used in wl.c (dd-wrt svn), my guess is that it protects wired interfaces from being probed as a wireless interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: