Upgrade lost username password

roman_legion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01    Post subject: Upgrade lost username password Reply with quote
Ok I forgot my password so I deleted the third partition and was able to log in and upgrade ..I activated my account and now the default username password not working ...I can browse the web but do not have access to my router.... any suggestions .. thanx
Sponsor
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clear browser cache.

Try using telnet. If it is possible to login you can change password with this command: setuserpasswd root newpassword

Put your harddrive/cf-card in another computer and write zeros to partition 3: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xx3
roman_legion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:01    Post subject: Ok how to start from scratch Reply with quote
Is there a link so that I can learn how to fdisk and start all over. I notice I've tried fdisk partitions, I get the same issues. I have tried DSL and fdisk but its seems to keep the same info.

THanx
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deleting the partitions wont help, because the data itself is not deleted. When the partition is recreated it will contain the same data as before.

One way to clear the data is to write zeros to the drive. It should be enough to clear partition 3.

You can use the dd command in linux to do this. DSL is debian based, so use the sudo command to run as root

Example:

to clear part3

Code:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxx3

to clear the whole drive

Code:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxx

replace xxx with your drive. for example hda/hdb/sda/sdb and so on. Make sure you choose the right drive, to be on the safe side you can temporary disconnect your other drives.

To use fdisk:

Code:

sudo fdisk /dev/xxx

pressing m displays a menu, rest is self explanatory. Press w to write the new partition table to the disk.
roman_legion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:44    Post subject: Bingo Reply with quote
Thanx your the best .. trying as we speak
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me know how it goes Smile
roman_legion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:25    Post subject: Worked like a charm Reply with quote
Keep hope alive .... thank you very much. Tough when your a linux noob ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: