How to use X86

geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 18:17    Post subject: How to use X86 Reply with quote
So I have an old P3 computer that I won't need anymore. It currently has Windows XP loaded on it, and I'd like to see if I can turn it into a router.

How do I turn it into a router? What minimum requirements do I need? If it's too troublesome and involves buying an add-in card, I'm going to see if I can find another use for it.

Thanks.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Build BS18740 standard generic
Sponsor
xaim00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
A P3 have more than enough processing power. Not much ram needed either, but at least 32MB i would recommend. Supports most wired NICs, but for wireless only atheros chipset is supported.

Download the public x86 version, v24sp1 is the latest. If you want wireless you'll need the registered version instead. It cost ~$20, but it's possible to request a free key for private use.

If you have a monitor connected get the vga version: dd-wrt_public_vga.image

To install it use the dd command in Linux to write the image to harddrive (Damn small linux distro have a livecd).

To install from windows use physdiskwrite. Available at http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
The P3 has like 733Mhz CPU, and 256MB RAM. I plan to keep Windows XP.

How would I set it up and stuff though? I already have a WRT54GSv7 running DD-WRT, so I can run the Linksys in like bridge mode or something right?

Are there any hardware requirements though? My modem connects to my router at the moment, so I'd need something to connect my modem to the P3 right?

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Build BS18740 standard generic
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you plan to do router only fro mthat computer, then there are no reason to leave XP there at all... But if you really need to have other functions as well at the computer, then you can run VMWare or some other virtual computer software and DD-WRT in it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: